* Images shown are of mature plants
Arborvitae + Weigela = The Preferred Privacy Pack for Cool Climates
Looking to add some privacy to your landscape? If you’re located in a cooler climate, we’ve picked just the plants for you! Take your privacy potential to the next level with our Cool-Climate Privacy Kit. You'll get the plants you need for a beautiful and functional privacy hedge in one easy kit!This kit comes with:
You'll receive our most mature 2-gallon Wine & Roses Weigela, along with 4-5 ft. Emerald Green Arborvitaes.
Both the Emerald Green Arborvitae and the Wine & Roses Weigela are the perfect plants for height, hedging and a high-end feel. When mixed together, they create the ideal combination of colors and varying heights!
Choose Emerald Green Arborvitae for its thick, evergreen foliage and no-nonsense disposition. It makes a solid, reliable screen that will perform exceptionally without the upkeep. And you'll love the Wine & Roses Weigela for its compact growth and fluorescent, rich pink blooms and burgundy foliage - a stunning companion to the Emerald Green’s foliage..
Both plants in this kit are low-maintenance in the landscape, and their contrasting colors add instant intrigue – everything you want in a privacy screen! Line your driveway or any section of your yard where privacy is required and watch these varieties quickly flourish.
Perfect for medium-sized landscapes, this kit will cover 50-60 feet when planted in a row. Consider installing a row of Emerald Greens interspersed with staggered Wine & Roses to emphasize their height difference and color contrast. Need more coverage? Get two kits, or add on additional individual plants.
When you want the ultimate landscape varieties that make privacy planting easier than ever, our Cool-Climate Privacy Kit does the trick! Order yours today, and delight in its easy elegance – something every landscaper and homeowner wants!
For more privacy landscaping inspiration, check out the resources below!
Planting & Care
Both of these varieties will thrive in full sun to part shade areas. When you’re ready to plant, dig a hole that's just as deep as the root ball and twice as wide, place your plant in, backfill the soil, and then water to settle the roots.
You'll want to space your Emerald Green Trees about 3-4 ft. apart, and space your Wine & Roses Shrubs about 2 ft. apart for a dense screen. We suggest alternating the two varieties in a staggered hedge row for maximum privacy and visual appeal.
- Emerald Green: Water your new tree weekly or twice weekly by holding a hose around it and counting to 20. After the first month, water just once a week unless it's dry and hot (no rain and temperatures above 80 degrees). If it's hot and dry, water twice a week. After the first six months, the trees will be established and subsist on rainfall alone.
- Wine & Roses: Water your Wine & Roses® regularly during the first growing season, or about once per week. You may need to water more often during times of extreme heat. But if you’re not sure when to water, simply check the soil about 2 to 3 inches down – if the soil is dry here, it’s time to water.
- Emerald Green: This is one tree that needs no pruning, other than to remove dead branches. If you do decide to hedge this tree, make sure that when you trim, the bottom of the tree is wider than the top.
- Wine & Roses: Pruning is not necessary for this shrub – simply space your plantings to allow them to grow naturally. If you want a more formal appearance, prune annually after the second flowering period at the end of summer.
4. Fertilizing: For maximum growth, fertilize your plants in early spring. Use an all-purpose evergreen tree and shrub fertilizer for Emerald Green and a slow-release solution for Wine & Roses.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $129||$19.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Sunlight:||Full Sun to Part Shade|
|Growth Rate:||Slow to Moderate|
|Botanical Name:||Thuja occidentalis 'Emerald Green'; Weigela florida 'Alexandra'|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ|
|Grows Well In Zones:||4-8 outdoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|