* Images shown are of mature plants
My FGT Yard Planner
You'll need to log in or create an account in order to save this item
Needle Palm Tree CareView Full Planting & Care Instructions
Sunlight Plant your Needle Palm in an area that receives full-partial sun (4-6 hours of direct sunlight per day).
Watering Water your Palm 2-3 times per week for the first month, then once a week for the remainder of the first year after planting. Keep the soil moist but well-drained, watering more in times of drought and less when there is rainfall.
Fertilizing If necessary, use a palm-specific fertilizer for your Palm. Slow-release fertilizer is best to allow the smaller root system to uptake what it needs. Apply close to the base and start in spring/follow specific fertilizer instructions.
Tropical Beauty in an Easy to Grow Palm
Year-Round Green Tropical Beauty
This Needle Palm is a lively shrubby plant known for its needle-shaped foliage and sharp spines at the base. Deep green leaves spring from a wide, textured trunk. Native to America, the evergreen provides a unique, lush display of greenery to enjoy all year.
Tall and Strong Palm
Full-grown, these palms are a rarity and extremely desirable. It's quite impressive when planted as your front yard centerpiece. Watch it grow to great heights, or bring it indoors. As a household plant, this palm acts as a natural humidifier and also detoxifies the air. This species is great for eliminating carbon monoxide and restoring freshness to the indoor air.
The Needle Palm is content in both sun and shade. This species prefers moist, well-drained soil and requires minimal fertilizer. As an added benefit, it's naturally pest and disease resistant, so it does not require harmful chemical sprays. Even the cold weather doesn't bother the Needle Palm.
It is not easy to find Needle Palm in your local garden shop, but we've got a number of first-grade specimens available that we've reserved from our grower. Order yours today before we're sold out for the season.
Looking for more palm trees to add to your collection? Check out our guide to popular types of palm trees.
Planting & Care
1. Planting: You don't have to immediately repot your plant - you'll only need to repot approximately every other year, once your Palm outgrows its shipped container or original pot. Increase the pot size by 2 inches each time you repot to accommodate new growth.
If growing outdoors make sure you give the palm well-draining soil and adequate space above to grow.
Use caution when replanting your palm as there are long sharp spines at the base of the plant that might be hidden under the leaves. This is why it is called the needle palm!
2. Watering: Mist your Palm weekly if kept indoors in addition to regular watering – this ensures that its native humid climate is simulated in your home. If you're not sure when to water, simply check the soil about 2 inches down. If the soil is dry here, it's time to water.
FGT Tip: If fronds begin to yellow, it could be a sign of overwatering. If you see yellowed fronds, allow time for the soil to dry before watering your plant again. Browning fronds, however, mean that your Palm is not getting enough water and needs more. Using a well draining potting mix is key in getting this balance.
3. Pruning: Simply any fronds as they turn yellow or brown. This improves the look of your plant and creates clean space for healthier green fronds to grow.
4. Fertilizing: You can apply palm fertilizers that contain specific nutrients best suited for palms. If you prefer, you can also use a balanced fertilizer, such as an 8-8-8 formula, for quicker growth in spring and summer.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $125||$19.95|
|$125 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Customer Reviews & Photos
- needle palms
- Fast Growing Trees
Great-Packaged very well can’t wait to see it when it grows
It was perfect! Fast delivery and the plant looked great!
Needle Palm Tree
We have been trying to locate this hardy palm and finally found it at Fast Growing Trees. They arrived, in pots, in great condition!