Growing Zones: 4-11 patio / 9-11 outdoors(hardy down to 30℉) 4-11 patio / 9-11 outdoors
- Mature Height:
- 10-15 ft.
- Mature Width:
- 5-10 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- Botanical Name:
- Beaucarnea recurvata
- Does Not Ship To:
A Unique Indoor Palm That's Hassle-Free
Ponytail Palms are becoming a popular, must-have house plant. Why? For starters, their unique tropical look makes them second to none. The Ponytail is also known as the ‘Elephant Foot Palm’ because it has the shape and texture of an elephant’s foot, as well as attractive gray bark that complements its lush green leaves.
And during summer, hundreds of tiny white blooms grace the stalk above the crown for an eye-catching floral display.
As a container palm, the Ponytail Palm can fit anywhere. Since it only grows to around 3 feet tall indoors, it’s perfect for placing on tables or countertops and in corners, lending an exotic feel to an array of spaces. During the warmer months, Ponytail Palms can be placed outdoors to greet guests with one-of-a-kind beauty.
Because of their diminutive size, they can fit perfectly under utility lines and close to structures, making them the prime palm for any job. And best of all, Ponytail Palms store water in their trunks, drawing on it as needed, leaving you with little to no maintenance. Sit back and relax as your Ponytail Palm thrives during periods of extreme heat and drought or low-light conditions indoors.
Effortless, exotic and luxe: the Ponytail Palm has it all. Order your own tropical, timelessly coveted house plant today!
Customers who bought this item also bought...
Customer Reviews & Photos
7 leaves tore away during the trip
The pony tail is pretty but it got damage during the trip Seven leaves were tore away when I received it.
Nice Size but Tips Dry
The ponytail palm was a nice size but the tips were a bit dry. It seems to be doing well though. I have it in a pot for now to hopefully give it time to recuperate from the shipping.
Love My Pony Tale
I received my ponytail palm tree in just a couple days shipping and it was in perfect condition (the larger one). I planted it the next day in a 10 gallon pot used Miracle Grow Potting soil and mixed a small amount of sand in it. Watered well until drained out the bottom. Watered again a week later. It's grown new leaves and is loving it on my patio! Will bring indoors when it starts getting too cool at night. Thanks FAST GROWING TREES for a beautiful plant!
Wonderful inside plant
We are very pleased on how well this inside plant is doing. Read the instructions and it will thrive nicely for its owner.
If you want the large you gotta buy the large
I bought and it came pretty much just like the photo depicts. Was a little apprehensive due to previous reviews but rest assured it's fine!
Planting & Care
The Ponytail palm (Beaucarnea recurvata) is a slow growing palm that thrives outdoors in USDA growing zones 9-11 but can be grown anywhere as a houseplant or patio plant. A lovely addition to any home or landscape, these easy to grow palms can reach a mature height of 10-15 feet tall and 5-10 feet wide at the canopy when planted in the landscape, but will remain much smaller when planted in containers.
Choosing a location: Ponytail palms will thrive in a variety of conditions, in cooler climates they will like a full sun location, in warmer areas they will prefer some afternoon shade. Ponytail Palms can tolerate almost any soil type and can be grown in small areas like parking lot islands and small spaces. They prefer well draining soil and dry conditions, the trunk actually holds water for the plants, so they do not need frequent waterings even if planted in the ground. Choose a sandy, or very well draining location when planting outdoors.
Planting Directions (in ground):
1) After choosing your location, dig a hole that is three times as big around as the container the palm came in (the root ball) and just as deep. If you have a hard clay soil you can dig the hole a little deeper to amend the area more so the roots can establish more easily.
2) Remove the plant from the container and lightly comb the roots to loosen them.
3) Place the plant in the hole so that the top of the root ball is even with the surrounding soil.
4) Backfill the hole with a mixture of 60% native soil and 40% good compost and sand mixture. Tamp the soil to remove air pockets.
5) Water when done but make sure not to saturate the area or leave the palm with standing water.
6) Mulch the planting area when done to conserve moisture and protect the roots from temperature fluctuation.
Planting Directions (potted):
1) Choose a container that is 2 times larger than the one the plant initially arrived in.
2) Use a quality, well draining acidic potting mix such as a palm or citrus mix.
3) Fill the container part way and place the palm in the container so that the soil is just below the top of the container and fill the remainder of the way.
4) Water until it begins to flow through the bottom drainage holes. Let the soil dry out almost completely before watering the plant again. They can can go up to 2 weeks without being watered.
If the plant is not getting enough water, the trunk will begin to shrivel. If it’s getting too much water, the fronds will yellow and the trunk can begin to rot.
5) The Ponytail palm only needs to be re-potted about every 2 years as they are very slow growing.
Watering: Ponytail palms are very drought tolerant whether they are in a container or in the ground. Water them when the soil is almost completely dry, do not allow the roots to sit in water or water to sit in the collection tray after watering.
Pruning: Ponytail palms need very little pruning, just to remove yellow or damaged fronds.
Fertilizing: Young palm trees do not need to be fertilized until after they put out a new spear (about 2 months). After that they will perform best when fertilized with a slow release fertilizer such a 10-5-10 formula in the spring and summer.
Most items ship the next business day unless otherwise noted
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately, however some orders may ship in 1-2 business days (we do not ship on the weekends) from date of purchase. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $15||$11.95|