Growing Zones: 4-9 outdoors(hardy down to -20℉) 4-9 outdoors
- Mature Height:
- 35-45 ft. in Rows; 50-75 ft. Alone
- Mature Width:
- 5-10 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- Botanical Name:
- Salix x matsudana x alba
- Does Not Ship To:
Don't Buy Bare-Root Trees (learn why below)
Fast-Growing and Dense Privacy Screen
Why Willow Hybrids?
A living and lush privacy fence of your very own is just a click away. The Willow Hybrid grows up to 6 feet each year, filling out to create a solid green wall. And it's an excellent, trouble-free green screen because it thrives across the country, no matter the climate or conditions.
Even better? It's disease resistant and tolerates both hot and cold temperature extremes. From Florida to Canada, Willow Hybrids thrive in almost any soil and any weather. Because of that versatile and highly adaptable nature, our special breed of Willow Hybrid is popular with landscape developers across the country.
Why Fast-Growing-Trees.com is Better
In little time, you'll get a well-formed, lush green hedge. And since our Willow Hybrid is super low-maintenance, you can simply plant it and forget it! And you get this dense, full privacy for a fraction of the cost of traditional fencing because we’ve planted, grown and shipped your tree with care, root system and health intact. Though it may look small when it arrives to your door, the Willow Hybrid transforms quickly.
In fact, Willow Hybrids typically form a thick green wall by the end of the first full growing season. Order a few of your own Willow Hybrids today!
Customer Reviews & Photos
Hybrid willow has
Very nicely packaged. Will have to wait until spring to see how they grow.
I've not had them long
I've not had them long enough for me to have an opinion The shipping was good the plants were in good shape
Lovin’ the hybrid willow
I ordered three willows and just love the leaves of this tree! Working with the company has been great. One plant didn’t do well in transit and they immediately sent a replacement. No hassle and great customer service! Thank you!!
I was very pleased by the quality shrubs that I received and packaging was well thought out to protect the plants during shipment.
came in a couple days well protected healthy green leaves and good root system
Planting & Care
Unlike the Weeping Willow, the Willow Hybrid grows straight up, making it a perfect tree when you need privacy—fast. Follow these tips to keep your trees happy and healthy.
1. Planting: For an instant privacy screen, plant these trees 5 feet apart. To give the trees a bit more room (which requires less work in terms of pruning), plant them 20 to 30 feet apart. You can plant them in a straight line, or in two staggered rows. Either way, they’ll grow best in full sun to partial shade (4 to 8 hours of sunlight per day). You can plant Willow Hybrids at any time of the year when the ground isn’t frozen - they establish quickly.
When you're ready to plant, dig a hole as deep as the root ball but twice as wide. Then, place the tree in the hole to check the depth - if the level of the soil surrounding the hole is higher than the root ball, pick the tree up, put some more soil in the hole, and replace the tree. Then, back fill the soil and water to settle.
Tip: To help the trees establish, consider using a Tree Gator or water reservoir to give them a steady drip of water.
2. Watering: Water Willow Hybrids daily after you first plant them. After two weeks, you can water every other day. After one month, you can water twice a week. After three months, water the Willow Hybrids once a week. They won’t need extra water after they’ve been in the ground for six months unless it is very hot and dry (temperatures above 80 degrees with no measurable precipitation for three weeks or more).
Willows do grow well in damp conditions. They do not usually need extra water unless your area has not had rain for three to four weeks during the summer. If that is the case, water the trees twice a week. Count to 20 on each tree, or provide five large watering cans full of water for each tree.
3. Pruning: Willow Hybrids require pruning primarily to control their size and shape and to remove dead branches. Cut dead branches all the way back to the trunk, stopping at least ½ inch before the trunk. The pruning cut will heal itself.
If you’re growing the Willow Hybrid as a hedge, trim once a year in the winter, which will encourage the tree to branch out and become denser throughout the summer.
4. Mulching: Hybrid Willows grow best in slightly moist conditions, so mulch around these trees once a year with shredded hardwood bark mulch. Do not mound the mulch around the trunk of the tree, however. Spread a layer of mulch that is three inches deep extending three feet from the tree trunk for best results.
5. Fertilizing: You don’t need to fertilize Willow Hybrids. They grow just fine on their own!
Most items ship the next business day unless otherwise noted
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately, however some orders may ship in 1-2 business days (we do not ship on the weekends) from date of purchase. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $15||$11.95|
|$99+||FREE SHIPPING with code SHIP99|