* Images shown are of mature plants
My FGT Yard Planner
You'll need to log in or create an account in order to save this item
Have questions? Talk with our Plant Experts (800) 973-8959
The New and Improved World's Fastest-Growing Tree
This brand-new cultivar takes everything you love about the Royal Empress Tree - fast growth, easy good looks and impressive impact - and makes it even better. Strong, low maintenance, eco-friendly and incredibly tolerant of warm climates, this tree is one you won't want to miss.
The Royal Empress Tree is best known for its fast, dense growth. When summer comes, the tree forms a dense canopy that shades your yard and can even help lower your energy bills. The tropical-looking leaves are huge, measuring about a foot wide. Unlike the original Royal Empress, this tree won't flower - but it features the same super-speedy growth, adding on up to 15 feet each year.
Best of all, the Royal Empress Tree is hassle-free. It grows almost anywhere, and has no significant insect or disease problems. And it tolerates drought and grows in almost any kind of soil - even toxic ones where other plants won't thrive.
Your Empress Tree is a hard worker, from its ability to cut household costs to its large leaves that act as giant air filters. And it's a sustainable planting choice - fast-growing, low-maintenance and non-invasive. In fact, it's lightweight, sturdy wood is prized for construction, interior design and more!
If you're looking to make a statement fast, the Phoenix One Royal Empress Tree is the perfect choice. Don't miss out - add this popular and fast grower to your landscape!
Looking for a more cold-hardy Royal Empress? Check out the new NordMax21 cultivar!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Empress Trees are nearly indestructible once they have become established, but do require some care in their early stages of growth. Full sun and well-draining soil are essential to the health of the tree. Ensure you plant your Empress well away from foundations, sidewalks and other structures.
Plant your tree after the last frost, or when surrounding plants begin to bud out. For best results, mix in potting soil or soil conditioner, especially if planting in clay or poor soil. Make your hole twice as wide and just as deep as the root ball, place the tree in the hole, and spread the roots out evenly. Water the area to moisten/settle the soil and then broadcast a good layer of mulch to preserve soil moisture and keep weeds and grasses back.
2. Watering: When the top 2 to 3 inches of the soil is dry, add water. As a rule, let the soil surrounding the tree dry out before watering. If your tree is wet upon arrival, skip the initial watering for two days.
3. Fertilizing: Empress Trees love organic fertilizer high in nitrogen. Check to make sure the first of the three numbers on your organic fertilizer is higher than the others, indicating an extra boost of nitrogen (example: 20-10-10). You can fertilize twice a month in the growing season, and stop fertilizing before the tree goes back into dormancy. Additional fertilizing should only be done after the first year.
4. Pruning: Let your tree grow for one entire year. If your Empress Tree did not grow at least 4 feet before winter dormancy, we recommend that you cut it to the ground at the very start of spring (a process called "coppicing"). This may seem odd, but it will grow a bunch of small sprouts. Select the “alpha” of the bunch and pinch the others off. This will focus all of the nutrients into that one growth and become a very straight, beautiful tree.
Are empress trees invasive?
Empress trees are rapid growers and get a bad rap for being invasive, even though only one variety is classified as such. We sell a hybrid Royal Empress Tree that's not invasive - so you can enjoy the rapid growth and beauty of this tree without fear of invasive tendencies. Just make sure the tree has plenty of room to grow!
Is the empress tree toxic?
While the tree isn’t recommended for consuming, it’s not considered toxic to pets or humans.
How tall does an empress tree grow?
The Royal Empress can grow up to 50 feet tall and around 40 feet wide.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $129||$19.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Mature Height:||40-50 ft.|
|Mature Width:||30-40 ft.|
|Botanical Name:||Paulownia x 'Phoenix One'|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ,ME,WI|
|Grows Well In Zones:||7-11 outdoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|