* Images shown are of mature plants
My FGT Yard Planner
You'll need to log in or create an account in order to save this item
Have questions? Talk with our Plant Experts (800) 973-8959
Statement Pink to Plum Color
Why Red Dragon Japanese Maple Trees?
One of the most gorgeous trees available on the market today, the Red Dragon Japanese Maple Tree is known for its brilliant shades of crimson and scarlet foliage throughout the seasons. Spring arrives with a burst of bright ruby red foliage that is vivid and showy.
As summer approaches, Red Dragon's foliage ages to a rich warm burgundy, adding an air of elegance to any outdoor living space. When autumn rolls in, Red Dragon turns fiery red for a striking punch of color.
And it's versatile. Maturing to heights of just 8 to 12 feet with a similar spread, the Red Dragon Japanese Maple is considered somewhat petite in stature by tree standards, making it an ideal choice for smaller garden spaces. This tree carries the show as a single specimen and is also exceptional when grouped in threes for accent anywhere. You can even keep Red Dragon in a decorative container.
Why Fast-Growing-Trees.com is Better
For starters, the Red Dragon Japanese Maple is more sun tolerant than most Japanese Maples and is moderately drought tolerant once it's established. Plant it by a pond or water feature, or simply put one by a seating bench so you can sit by it and take in its showy beauty.
But the best part? We've planted, grown and nurtured each Red Dragon Japanese Maple for success, so you get a long-lived specimen you love...as well as healthy roots and a head start on growth, delivered right to your door.
It's so easy to add color and interest to a garden or landscape with the Red Dragon. Order your own Red Dragon today!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Start by selecting an area with well-drained soil and the proper sunlight for your Red Dragon. If you live in a hotter climate, provide some shade for your tree and protection from the harsh afternoon sun. From there, dig the hole slightly larger than the root system of the plant - 2 to 3 times the width and just as deep as the root ball.
Then, place the tree, backfill the hole and tamp down the soil as you proceed to cut back on any air pockets from forming. Water the planting site and then mulch to preserve soil moisture.
2. Watering: The “average” amount of water supplied to the most common lawn and garden plants should be adequate for your new Japanese Maple Tree. During the hot summer months, we recommend watering your Japanese Maple in the early morning or evening.
3. Fertilizing: Japanese Maples do not require large amounts of nutrients. But any recommended fertilization should use a balanced complete fertilizer for shrubs and trees. This should be applied once a year in early spring, and if possible, before the leaves appear.
4. Pruning: Your tree will need 2 to 3 years to become firmly established in your lawn or garden before you prune. After this period, you may begin to prune your tree if desired, although it's not required.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $129||$19.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Mature Height:||8-12 ft.|
|Mature Width:||8-12 ft.|
|Sunlight:||Best color- Part Shade Tolerates Full Sun in cooler regions|
|Botanical Name:||Acer palmatum dissectum 'Red Dragon'|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ|
|Grows Well In Zones:||5-8 outdoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|
Growing Zones: 5-8 outdoors(hardy down to -10℉)
Customer Reviews & Photos
- back yard
Order tree, got here quick, tree was in good shape. Very happy with purchase
My Tree was Perfect!!!
I was pleasantly surprised with the size and condition and my Red Dragon........Already have it planted in its new home!!! Looks like it is settling in and is Happy.... :)
Best service ever!
I was so pleased with my first purchase from FGT that I made space in my limited yard for another FGT. From shopping, thru ordering, to delivery; my second experience was just as excellent as the first. The tree arrived two days earlier than scheduled. A total plus! The tree was so well packed that only two small leaves had come off of the plant. The tree was advertised as being "from two to three feet" and my specimen is exactly three feet. I was very pleased to get such a well developed specimen. The growth habit is excellent and the trunk is very straight. Very nice root ball with well developed roots. I only wish I had more room in my yard for another tree so I could order from FGT again. I totally recommend this company to anyone. They have excellent trees for every clime.
Still mostly green, hoping it will turn more red soon
The tree came healthy and well packaged though the delivery person delivered it on its end even though the box said to keep it on its side. I’ve had it for a couple weeks now and it still looks pretty green but I’m hoping it will turn more red soon.
Very hoppy to do business with your company very helpful Thank you again