Growing Zones: 5-8 outdoors(hardy down to -10℉) 5-8 outdoors
- Mature Height:
- 15-20 ft.
- Mature Width:
- 15 ft.
- Best Color- Part Shade Tolerates Full Sun
- Growth Rate:
- Botanical Name:
- Acer palmatum
- Does Not Ship To:
Brighten Your Yard with Changing Red Foliage
A show-stopping display of reds is synonymous with the Red Japanese Maple. Beautiful, bright red foliage appears in spring and transforms into burgundy in summer and then scarlet in autumn, so you'll have year-round visual interest.
The winter bark has tones of red and black to add warmth in the coldest months. Plus, your Red Japanese Maple can be easily pruned to any height you desire, making it ideal for small yards.
Even better? The roots aren't disruptive, so planting it near borders, driveways, and sidewalks can add a pop of color without damage.
You'll love everything the Red Japanese Maple will bring to your landscape:
- Increase the value of your yard - this stunning tree will add value anywhere you plant it.
- Create interesting contrast - nothing looks better against a sea of green than a consistent show of reds.
- Impress your neighbors - with a tree prized by landscape designers.
And best of all, this ornamental value comes with no maintenance. Adaptable, tolerant and hardy, your Red Japanese Maple will give you a show without all the work.
This popular tree doesn't stay in stock long. Don't miss your chance to add this standout tree to your landscape. Order yours today!
Customer Reviews & Photos
- Fast Growing Trees
Great , fast service, Tree was in great shape and growing good.
I didn't expect them to deliver in a couple days which is great and the trees in the box wasn't damaged as far as I can tell.
Quick delivery, packaged well.
So far they seem to be adapting to their new location. Time will tell how they thrive in their new environment.
Our Japanese Maple came very well packed! It was in great shape and a healthy-looking tree. So far so good! It’s going to take a while to become the tree we’re envisioning but we’re happy with our purchase.
Planting & Care
1) Find an area with the proper sunlight, and if you live in a hotter climate, ensure your tree gets some afternoon shade to protect it from the harsh sun. The hole should be dug slightly larger than the root system of the plant, 2-3 times the width and just as deep as the root ball.
2) To help the roots establish themselves quickly, mix the soil with an organic compost (conifer bark mulch, rhododendron or azalea planting mix or rose compost) that is recommended but not necessarily needed.
3) The root collar of the plant, the ground line on the stem where the young plant was grown, should be level with the ground surface.
4) Backfill the hole and tamp down the soil as you proceed to cut back on any air pockets from forming.
5) Water the planting site and then mulch to preserve soil moisture.
Watering: The average amount of water supplied to the most common lawn and garden plants should be adequate for your new Japanese maple tree. During the hot summer months, water your Japanese maple in early morning or evening. This will help protect against a condition known as “scorching” where the leaves appear to have been burnt by the sun, a condition thought to be brought on by watering in the midday sun.
Fertilization: Japanese maples do not require large amounts of nutrients. If your other lawn and garden plants do well, your maple should grow just fine. Any recommended fertilization should use a balanced complete fertilizer for shrubs and trees. This should be applied once a year in early spring, and if possible be applied just before the leaves appear.
Pruning: Your tree will need 2 to 3 years to become firmly established in your lawn or garden. After this period, you may begin to prune your tree if desired, although it is not required.
Most items ship the next business day unless otherwise noted
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately, however we are currently experiencing delays and could take up to 4-7 days from date of purchase. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $15||$11.95|
You can still order, but due to cold weather, we have delayed shipping to the areas shaded on the map below. We want your new plant to thrive right out of the box, so we will wait on shipping your order until the weather is ideal. This includes anyone in
Growing Zones 3 & 4. If you are unsure of your growing zone, visit our
Growing Zone Finder.
Some plants are not available for immediate shipment, and delayed delivery is noted.
We will resume normal shipping in the Spring. Please see the table below for your approximate ship date.
|Growing Zone||Shipping Resumes|
|Zones 3 & 4||Week of May 4th|
|Zones 5 - 11||Ships Now!|