Growing Zones: 5-8 outdoors(hardy down to -10℉) 5-8 outdoors
- Mature Height:
- 6-12 ft.
- Mature Width:
- 4-7 ft.
- Best Color- Part Shade Tolerates Full Sun in cooler regions
- Growth Rate:
- Botanical Name:
- Acer palmatum 'Butterfly'
- Does Not Ship To:
Year-Round Show of Color
The ever-changing colors of the Butterfly Japanese Maple make this unique tree an interesting accent to your landscape...and it looks brilliant as a stand-alone ornamental.
It changes colors with the seasons. Starting with pinkish foliage in early spring, the gray-green leaves incorporate splashes of red with silvery-white borders throughout the summer. And as fall approaches, the green leaves transition to a deep scarlet-magenta color to make for a spectacular autumnal show.
Even in winter, its miniature, reddish maple hues will nod and flow in the breeze adding a dynamic display in your garden. Plus, its distinctive 3-inch leaves, with five lobes, open like the palm of a hand and will occasionally have a slight twist as they emerge. The papery, double-winged seed pods, called samaras, ripen during September and October and flow in the breeze to add more dimension.
Best of all? It's low-maintenance, and this long-lived specimen is naturally resistant to diseases and insects, so you’ll rarely need to treat it with fungicides or insecticides. Just give it a good start, and it will reward you for years to come.
Clearly showing off its native roots of Japan, Korea, and China, this classy tree can be placed wherever you wish and it will be a point of year-round interest. Use it in containers, bonsai, Asian themes, or small gardens to display its unique beauty!
Customer Reviews & Photos
The tree is beautiful! Very healthy and I am totally satisfied, as I always am with your products!
I bought 3 Japanese Maple Trees recently. I planted them in large pots on the patio. The plants arrived excellently packaged and in very good condition. They are leafing out rapidly as our temperatures here in the South stay above freezing!
tree arrived in perfect condition. a lot smaller then expected but in good condition. I set it out immediately. Can't wait to see how it turn out
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Select an area with well-drained soil and full to partial sun for your tree (in hotter climates, you'll want to plant in an area with protection from harsh afternoon sun). The hole should be dug slightly larger than the root system of the plant, 2 to 3 times the width and just as deep as the root ball.
Place your tree, backfill the hole and tamp down the soil as you proceed to cut back on any air pockets from forming. Water the planting site and then mulch to preserve soil moisture.
2. Watering: The average amount of water supplied to the most common lawn and garden plants should be adequate for your new Japanese maple tree. During the hot summer months, water your Japanese maple in early morning or evening. This will help protect against a condition known as “scorching” where the leaves appear to have been burnt by the sun, a condition thought to be brought on by watering in the midday sun.
3. Fertilizing: Japanese Maples do not require large amounts of nutrients. If your other lawn and garden plants do well, your maple should grow just fine. Any recommended fertilization should use a balanced complete fertilizer for shrubs and trees. This should be applied once a year in early spring, and if possible be applied just before the leaves appear.
4. Pruning: Your tree will need 2 to 3 years to become firmly established in your lawn or garden. After this period, you may begin to prune your tree if desired, although it is not required.
Most items ship the next business day unless otherwise noted
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately, however some orders may ship in 1-2 business days (we do not ship on the weekends) from date of purchase. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $15||$11.95|
|$119 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
You can still order, but due to cold weather, we have delayed shipping to the areas shaded on the map below. We want your new plant to thrive right out of the box, so we will wait on shipping your order until the weather is ideal. This includes anyone in
Growing Zones 3 - 5. If you are unsure of your growing zone, visit our
Growing Zone Finder.
Some plants are not available for immediate shipment, and delayed delivery is noted.
We will resume normal shipping in the Spring. Please see the table below for your approximate ship date.
|Growing Zone||Shipping Resumes|
|Zones 3 & 4||Week of May 4th|
|Zone 5||Week of April 13th|
|Zones 6 - 11||Ships Now!|