* Images shown are of mature plants
My FGT Yard Planner
You'll need to log in or create an account in order to save this item
Have questions? Talk with our Plant Experts (800) 973-8959
An Unusual Cream-and-Green Evergreen Shrub!
Many gardeners want to vary the green hues in their landscaping. And if that's your goal, consider a Variegated Boxwood! This shrub’s green leaves are edged with a mottled cream color, adding welcome contrast to your evergreen collection. From far away, this color appears as an attractive sage green, especially against a backdrop of deeper-green plants.
The Variegated Boxwood is a compact shrub perfect for many landscapes. Its naturally round shape makes it ideal to break up monochrome deep greens in your garden. Alternatively, the shrub also takes well to pruning, so you can shape it into a more formal hedge.
The Variegated Boxwood is also perfect for small spaces, reaching just four to five feet in height and width! That means you don’t have to worry about size if you plant the shrub along a garden path or beneath a window. It’s also at home in containers!
It’s easy to understand why so many gardeners choose this easy-going plant. The Variegated Boxwood is a hardy and forgiving evergreen. Its leaves are dense, meaning that even inexpert pruning won’t hurt it. And the best part? You don’t have to worry about pests, pollution, or diseases with this plant!
If you’re ready to shake up your evergreen landscape, order your Variegated Boxwood today!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Choose a location where your Variegated Boxwood will receive full or partial sunlight. If you live in an area that gets very hot, they will do best when given some afternoon shade. Well-draining soil is also a must. Then, dig a hole the same depth as the root ball and three times as wide.
Place the boxwood upright into the hole ensuring it’s straight and begin to backfill the hole, watering every couple inches to prevent air pockets from forming. To help retain moisture in the soil and deter weed growth, apply a 2- to 3-inch layer of mulch around the base of the boxwood, extending 12 inches past the foliage.
2. Watering: Water the Variegated Boxwood deeply to ensure the roots are getting adequate moisture. The soil should stay moist but never saturated. Once it has established, it will need a weekly watering during periods of drought or extreme heat.
3. Fertilizing: Apply a balanced shrub fertilizer formula such as 10-10-10 in spring, before the start of new growth.
4. Pruning: Variegated Boxwoods respond well to pruning. During the first two years of growth, prune your boxwood to your desired shape before new growth in spring. In the following years, the tips of the shrub will need to be pruned to maintain its shape.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $129||$19.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Mature Height:||4-5 ft.|
|Mature Width:||4-5 ft.|
|Botanical Name:||Buxus sempervirens 'Aureo-variegata'|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ,OR,TN|
|Grows Well In Zones:||5-8 outdoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|
Growing Zones: 5-8 outdoors(hardy down to -10℉)
Customer Reviews & Photos
Verigated Boxwood Shrub