Growing Zones: 7-10 outdoors(hardy down to 10℉) 7-10 outdoors
- Mature Height:
- 3-4 ft.
- Mature Width:
- 3-6 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- Botanical Name:
- Gardenia jasminoides 'Frost Proof'
- Does Not Ship To:
Blooms When Others Don't
Why Frost Proof Gardenia Shrubs?
With the Frost Proof Gardenia shrub, you'll never miss a Gardenia season because of late cold snaps. Ordinary Gardenia buds can freeze and never develop into flowers...meaning that you get a skimpy showing or no blooms at all.
Despite chilly weather, Frost Proof Gardenias are smothered with amazingly fragrant blooms every year. Unlike other varieties, they stand up to the cold and unusual weather patterns. From the midwest to Key West,...Frost Proof Gardenias pump out blooms that fill your yard with that distinctive Gardenia aroma.
And they're deer resistant too. This trouble-free shrub's green foliage makes it versatile enough to be a foundation hedge, property barrier or the focal point of a berm.
Why Fast-Growing-Trees.com is Better
You won’t find a healthier Frost Proof Gardenia. When you order your Frost Proof Gardenia from Fast Growing Trees, you get a better-developed, well-rooted variety that’s ready to grow above and beyond.
And because we’ve planted, nurtured and shipped your Frost Proof with meticulous care, you get a hassle-free shrub that explodes with fragrance and blooms as soon as it arrives at your door.
These are well-developed shrubs ready to bloom your very first season. Our larger sizes are limited, so order now while they are still available. Get your Frost Proof Gardenia Shrub today!
Customer Reviews & Photos
Placed in an area that gets about 8 hours of sun. Lot’s of new growth
I live in the upper Northwest and bought two of these plants in July 2015. I planted them in the ground in different locations, but one of them died the second year due to the cold weather. The other one has done well and produces many blooms every season. As stated in the product description, it is a slow grower. My shrub is still less than 1' tall. Perhaps that is why the blooms are still small in size, too. I do love the fragrance of these gardenias and hope they will get larger as the shrub grows taller.
Beautiful healthy plant upon delivery, looking forward to the beautiful blooms later this year.
Well packaged, arrived rapidly, growing well thus far.
Good and prompt.
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Select an area with full to partial sun (at least 4 hours of sunlight daily) and well-draining soil. To plant, dig a hole no deeper than the root ball and two to three times the width of the root ball. Remove your plant from its container and carefully but firmly loosen the root ball. Set the Frost Proof Gardenia into the hole you've prepared, making sure the top of the root ball is slightly above the soil level.
2. Watering: Be sure to keep your Frost Proof Gardenia moist but not soggy. Do not let it dry out between waterings as this stresses the plant. You can rely upon natural rainfall but double-check your soil for moisture about 2 inches down. If the gardenia is receiving less than an inch per week, supplement it with water from the hose or from a watering can.
3. Fertilizing: Feed the Frost Proof Gardenia bi-weekly with non-alkaline fertilizer. A teaspoon of agricultural sulfur in the soil may help lower soil pH. Fertilize gardenias after they've bloomed with a well-balanced shrub fertilizer.
4. Pruning: Frost Proof Gardenias require no pruning, except for shaping. To maintain shape, prune in late winter before new growth emerges. Cut with hand pruners, and not powered trimmers, to avoid scarring leaves.
Most items ship the next business day unless otherwise noted
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately, however some orders may ship in 1-2 business days (we do not ship on the weekends) from date of purchase. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $15||$11.95|
|$119 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
You can still order, but due to cold weather, we have delayed shipping to the areas shaded on the map below. We want your new plant to thrive right out of the box, so we will wait on shipping your order until the weather is ideal. This includes anyone in
Growing Zones 3 - 5. If you are unsure of your growing zone, visit our
Growing Zone Finder.
Some plants are not available for immediate shipment, and delayed delivery is noted.
We will resume normal shipping in the Spring. Please see the table below for your approximate ship date.
|Growing Zone||Shipping Resumes|
|Zones 3 & 4||Week of May 4th|
|Zone 5||Week of April 13th|
|Zones 6 - 11||Ships Now!|