* Images shown are of mature plants
My FGT Yard Planner
You'll need to log in or create an account in order to save this item
The Hardiest Hedge You Can Grow!
Once established, your evergreen Schipka Cherry Laurel (Skip Laurel) will need no maintenance at all!
This gorgeous, dense evergreen can be trained as a hedge or left unclipped to show off its naturally beautiful shape…
But if you want a fast, dense screen or privacy hedge, then the Skip Laurel is the right choice.
This evergreen is hardy and resistant in every way possible…
- Drought tolerant - no need to water after it's established
- Deer resistant - not many evergreens can say that!
- Tolerant of air pollution - great for cities and urban landscapes
- Adaptable to dry, poor soil - plant it anywhere
- Grows the same in shade or sun - perfect for any spot in your yard
No matter where you plant your Skip Laurel, you'll get dense, glossy evergreen foliage.
The more you plant together, the denser the foliage becomes…
Growing 2 ft. each year, you can grow an impenetrable screen or hedge in no time at all.
Or let the unclipped Skip Laurel grow naturally and get a spring show of gorgeous, white, candle-like flowers with dark berries in autumn and winter.
Whether you need a fast, thick hedge for privacy, wind screening or as barrier for dust and traffic noise…
Or you just want to plant a stunning evergreen, but don't have the time for maintenance...
Note: If your plant arrives with holes or damaged leaves, don’t be alarmed! Laurels do not like being in containers, so it is very common for this cosmetic damage to occur. Once plant your Laurel in the ground, new growth will emerge happy, healthy and hole-free. If you have any concerns, don’t hesitate to contact us!
The Skip Laurel can do it all. Order yours today!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: First, select a location with well-drained soil and full sun to partial shade – any area with about 4 to 6 hours of sunlight should suffice. When you’re ready to plant, dig a hole that’s about three times the width of your plant’s root ball, and place your plant.
2. Watering: Once established, your Skip Laurel is relatively drought-tolerant, but it’s important to have a regular watering schedule for the first few growing seasons. Water about once weekly or check the surrounding soil about 2 or 3 inches down. Generally, we recommend letting a garden hose run for about 1 to 3 minutes per week, depending on your soil.
3. Fertilizing: You'll want to use a shrub and tree fertilizer, unless a soil test shows that nutrients are low or missing. If the soil is missing or low on nutrients, use a nutrient-specific fertilizer.
4. Pruning: You may want to consider pruning if you're using Skip Laurels as a hedge; left unclipped, you'll get white, candle-like flowers with red berries in autumn and winter. To clip into a hedge, simply shear to your desired shape and height in the fall or winter.
Are Skip Laurel roots invasive?
Do Skip Laurels lose their leaves?
Are Skip Laurels toxic?
How should I space my Skip Laurel hedge?
How fast do Skip Laurels grow?
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $125||$19.95|
|$125 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Mature Height:||10-18 ft.|
|Mature Width:||5-7 ft.|
|Sunlight:||Shade to Full Sun|
|Botanical Name:||Prunus laurocerasus|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ|
|Grows Well In Zones:||5-10 outdoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|
Growing Zones: 5-10 outdoors(hardy down to -10℉)
Compare Similar Products
- Mature Height
- Mature Width
- Growth Rate
- 10-18 ft.
- 5-7 ft.
- Shade to Full Sun
- 10-15 ft.
- 8-10 ft.
- 30 ft.
- 15 ft.
- 4-6 ft.
- 4-6 ft.
- Part Shade to Shade (hot sun burns the leaves)
- 6-8 ft.
- 8-10 ft.
- 6-8 ft.
- 5-6 ft.
- Full Sun
Customer Reviews & Photos
- skip laurels
5 star service
I rarely leave reviews but I’ve now purchased close to 20 of these plants and they’re great. Easy to plant and care for and they grow pretty quickly. I planted 15 around my driveway at my last house a year ago and saw a good amount of growth year 1. Sadly, we moved so I ordered 4 more to line my driveway. This plant stays a rich green color all year with berries in winter and a nice white flower in spring. Exactly what I was looking for. Only thing that could make this plant better is if the price was less. It’s quite an investment at this price point.
I purchased 4 skip laurels. They arrived very promptly and in excellent condition.
Another happy customer
Excellent service. Shrubs arrived on time and healthy. I can’t wait for them to hit 8’.
14 skip laurels pretty good, 1 iffy, 1 dead
I purchased four 4-packs of skip laurels at the end of April 2022. They arrived seven days later, including 5 days of travel time. My Dad and I planted the 14 best-looking ones (which were mostly pretty good, including several great looking ones and several OK looking ones). After one week in the ground, those are doing fine. we didn't plant one which looks OK but seems to be slowing recovering from its trip from across the country (I'm in zone 10), and one which looks like it's going to die. To FastGrowingTrees.com's credit, they honored their 30 day satisfaction guarantee and will replace the one that's dying. Overall, my experience with dealing with the company has been very good, and I appreciate that they use an onshore customer service call center. The laurels are pretty good too, and I would have given the entire experience five stars if not for the one dying laurel I received and the one questionable laurel I received.