* Images shown are of mature plants
The King of Fruits
The Lychee Tree has it all:
- Attractive ornamental evergreen with Tropical flair
- Delicious fruit with unique taste
- Dense green foliage
- Tolerant Tree, resistant to cold and frost
Lychee Tree: The best kept Ancient Secret
There's a reason the Lychee Tree has been popular for thousands of years. Actually, there are many reasons. To start with, the tree combines oriental style with tropical beauty and offers one of the most delicious fruits that a gardener can harvest. It's a slow grower that can achieve heights of more than 40 feet. But the Lychee fruit tastes so good you'll want to keep it within an arm's reach.
Lush, dark green foliage adds great contrast to the Lychee fruits that hang in bunches like giant, rose colored grapes. The tree is admired both for its tempting fruit as well as the tree's distinctive visual appeal. This tree is an absolute must for your garden or landscape.
Lychee has the Fruit of your Dreams
If your imagination came up with its own fruit with the perfect flavor, it would be the Lychee. It's no wonder many Asian restaurants serve them sometimes accompanied by ice cream after a satisfying meal. A rugged outer skin flakes away easily revealing the delicate, velvety fruit that awaits beneath. Bite into the moist, sweet flesh and experience the rush of exotic flavor unique to the Lychee fruit.
So different in taste, the Lychee's white, somewhat translucent flesh almost defies description. Some say the taste is like combining the flavors of pear, grape and coconut milk all in one fruit. Lychees are easy to prepare and taste delicious when eaten chilled.
Add them to fruit salads or as a wonderful topping on desserts. With flavor this good on such a beautiful tree, isn't it time you planted your Lychee?
Lychee Tree Pollination
Lychee Trees are self-fertile. You will get fruit with only one plant. However, adding an additional Lychee Tree will drastically increase the size of your crop.
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Select an area of your landscape that does not flood but is well-draining. Sandy soils with low organic matter content are suitable if sufficient fertilizers are supplied.
Your planting area should receive full sun for the best tree growth and fruit production. Make your hole three times the size of the root ball and just as deep. Keep the tree as straight as possible and begin to backfill the hole.
For indoor growing, select a pot 1 to 2 sizes larger than your plant's shipped container, use organic soil mix, and place the potted Lychee in a sunny area. Adding Mycorrhizal fungi to your potted tree will increase the root growth and their ability to distribute/absorb nutrients and water.
Note: This product grows best in well-draining soil. When you receive your plant, you may notice small, white beads or rocks in the soil - this medium is added to increase drainage and keep your plant happy and healthy!
2. Watering: Lychees are moderately drought tolerant. However, newly-planted trees should be watered regularly during establishment (every two or three days or when the soil is dry about 3 inches down). Water a container-grown Lychee every day.
3. Fertilizing: Container-grown Lychees do not require fertilizer but will benefit greatly by spraying liquid phosphorous. Do this during transplantation and annually around September or October.
4. Pruning: Occasional thinning/pruning of the lychee is encouraged for protection from wind damage and builds a strong structure.
Potted trees will not require any pruning for at least 2 to 3 years and even then, it’s a minor thinning to open crotch angles.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $49||$19.95|
|$49 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Mature Height:||20-40 ft.|
|Mature Width:||20-40 ft.|
|Botanical Name:||Litchi chinensis|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ|
|Grows Well In Zones:||4-11 patio / 9-11 outdoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|