* Images shown are of mature plants
My FGT Yard Planner
You'll need to log in or create an account in order to save this item
Have questions? Talk with our Plant Experts (800) 973-8959
Apollo Winterberry Holly Shrub CareView Full Planting & Care Instructions
Sunlight Plant your Holly in an area with full to partial sun - at least 4 hours of sunlight daily.
Watering Water weekly, or more often in extreme heat. Water when the soil is dry 2-3 inches down.
Fertilizing Fertilization isn't required for your Holly, but you can apply an evergreen fertilizer in the spring as needed.
Get Holly Berries Using Apollo
Why Apollo Winterberry Holly Shrubs?
Planted to pollinate female Winter Red Winterberries, the Apollo Winterberry Holly Shrub is essential for enjoying the classic, festive berries you've come to love. And while Apollo doesn’t produce the showy red berries, you wouldn’t be able to enjoy that timeless red winter ornamental without it.
And you only have to plant one Apollo for every six Winter Reds. Plant within 50 feet of female hollies and this Winterberry variety will pollinate six of them. It’s the muscle in this operation—doing all the work and saving you money at the same time.
Plus, it withstands cold and heat. Apollos don’t mind freezing temperatures. In fact, they can survive in -10 degrees. But it also grows without problems as far south as Florida.
Why Fast-Growing-Trees.com is Better
For starters, our Apollo Winterberry adapts to your environment with ease. From sandy to dry to wet soils, polluted or salty air, and shade or sun...it will continue to grow and bloom. And it does have beautiful flowers and leaves - creamy white flowers form in clusters all over this holly berry bush in late spring, and its dense foliage makes the perfect barrier.
But the best part? We've planted, grown and shipped our Apollo Winterberry Holly Shrub with absolute care. And now, you reap the rewards of our hard work at the nursery without any effort on your part. No need to visit big box since you'll have a well-rooted, healthy variety shipped right to your door.
Build your own sanctuary with the help of the Apollo Holly. Order now, and we’ll ship right to your door!
Apollo Winterberry Holly Shrub Pollination
This holly is a male-only cultivar and will not produce berries. Plant to enjoy the wonderful foliage and flowers, or to pollinate other female hollies on your property.
Plant alongside the Winter Red Winterberry.
Planting & Care
1. Planting: The Ilex verticillata, commonly called the Apollo Holly, grows best in full sunlight or partial shade. The plant also tolerates well-draining, average soil.
Dig a hole twice the diameter of the Apollo Holly’s root ball and just as deep. Moisten the hole with water before planting the holly. Place the plant’s roots into the hole. Fill the hole in with dirt and tamp the soil firmly down around the roots to remove any air pockets.
2. Watering: Water the Apollo Holly thoroughly after planting to help settle the roots. Keep the plant moist for the first year of growth to help the plant establish a firm root system. Water the plant at least once per week, especially during periods of drought for optimum growth. After the first year, your natural rainfall will be sufficient, except in times of extreme heat.
3. Fertilizing: Fertilize the Apollo Holly in the early spring or fall using a general purpose fertilizer. Follow the instructions on the fertilizer’s label for ratio requirements.
4. Pruning: Prune the Apollo Holly Shrub in the fall or winter during non-growth periods. And remove any broken or dead branches. The plant spreads through root suckers, so to control growth, the suckers should be pruned away or dug up.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $129||$19.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Mature Height:||10-12 ft.|
|Mature Width:||10-12 ft.|
|Botanical Name:||Ilex verticillata 'Apollo'|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ,OR|
|Grows Well In Zones:||5-9 outdoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|
Growing Zones: 5-9 outdoors(hardy down to -10℉)
Customer Reviews & Photos
- New Mexico
Great to find a seller of the male winterberry Apollo. Arrived quickly, well rooted and in good shape. It's in the ground!
So far my Apollo bush is doing well. I’ve experienced strong plants from FGT’s that do well in the New Mexico sun.
It arrived in excellent condition and is being planted today
Satisfied as Always
Comfortable with purchase. I need a Lupin cherry tree, but it is too expensive. Cannot afford.
Purchase of Winterberry Holly Shrub
It looks great.