Growing Zones: 5-9 outdoors(hardy down to -10℉) 5-9 outdoors
- Mature Height:
- 12 ft.
- Mature Width:
- 12 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- Botanical Name:
- Ilex verticillata 'Apollo'
- Does Not Ship To:
Get Holly Berries Using Apollo
Why Apollo Winterberry Holly Shrubs?
Planted to pollinate female Winter Red Winterberries, the Apollo Winterberry Holly Shrub is essential for enjoying the classic, festive berries you've come to love. And while Apollo doesn’t produce the showy red berries, you wouldn’t be able to enjoy that timeless red winter ornamental without it.
And you only have to plant one Apollo for every six Winter Reds. Plant within 50 feet of female hollies and this Winterberry variety will pollinate six of them. It’s the muscle in this operation—doing all the work and saving you money at the same time.
Plus, it withstands cold and heat. Apollos don’t mind freezing temperatures. In fact, they can survive in -10 degrees. But it also grows without problems as far south as Florida.
Why Fast-Growing-Trees.com is Better
For starters, our Apollo Winterberry adapts to your environment with ease. From sandy to dry to wet soils, polluted or salty air, and shade or sun...it will continue to grow and bloom. And it does have beautiful flowers and leaves - creamy white flowers form in clusters all over this holly berry bush in late spring, and its dense foliage makes the perfect barrier.
But the best part? We've planted, grown and shipped our Apollo Winterberry Holly Shrub with absolute care. And now, you reap the rewards of our hard work at the nursery without any effort on your part. No need to visit big box since you'll have a well-rooted, healthy variety shipped right to your door.
Build your own sanctuary with the help of the Apollo Holly. Order now, and we’ll ship right to your door!
Customer Reviews & Photos
The shrub arrived in great shape and just in time as my female Red Stripe Winterberry had small blossoms on her. I bought Apollo specifically to pollinate my female Winterberry and look forward to abundant red berries in the winter.
They arrived safely and are now planted in front of my house. I live in Zone 5A and missed my standard hollies from warmer environs so I was happy to find them.
I just planted it. So-far-so-good.
I received a very healthy, well packed plant.
Great. Plant is healthy with good root system
Planting & Care
1. Planting: The Ilex verticillata, commonly called the Apollo Holly, grows best in full sunlight or partial shade. The plant also tolerates well-draining, average soil.
Dig a hole twice the diameter of the Apollo Holly’s root ball and just as deep. Moisten the hole with water before planting the holly. Place the plant’s roots into the hole. Fill the hole in with dirt and tamp the soil firmly down around the roots to remove any air pockets.
2. Watering: Water the Apollo Holly thoroughly after planting to help settle the roots. Keep the plant moist for the first year of growth to help the plant establish a firm root system. Water the plant at least once per week, especially during periods of drought for optimum growth. After the first year, your natural rainfall will be sufficient, except in times of extreme heat.
3. Fertilizing: Fertilize the Apollo Holly in the early spring or fall using a general purpose fertilizer. Follow the instructions on the fertilizer’s label for ratio requirements.
4. Pruning: Prune the Apollo Holly Shrub in the fall or winter during non-growth periods. And remove any broken or dead branches. The plant spreads through root suckers, so to control growth, the suckers should be pruned away or dug up.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately, however we are currently experiencing delays and could take up to 11-14 days from date of purchase. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $15||$11.95|
|$149 +||FREE SHIPPING!|