|Mature Height:||8-20 ft.|
|Mature Width:||3-4 ft.|
|Botanical Name:||Saccharum officinarum|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ|
|Grows Well In Zones:||4-11 patio / 9-11 outdoors|
|You are in Growing Zone:||#|
Growing Zones: 4-11 patio / 9-11 outdoors(hardy down to 30℉)
Grow This Sweet Plant at Home!
Ever wish you could grow your own sugar at home? Now, you can!
Sugar Cane (Saccharum officinarum) is a clumping perennial grass with long, green leaves shooting up and out. Thick, jointed stalks reminiscent of bamboo characterize this tropical grass, commonly harvested for its sweet sap and used in commercial sugar and molasses production.
The Sugar Cane's stalks can grow in a range of hues, including yellow, red, dark green, and black, providing an excellent backdrop for the vibrant green foliage. When grown as a perennial, mature plants will flower with feathery bloom spikes.
While you may be able to harvest sugar in the right tropical conditions, this Sugar Cane plant also makes an excellent ornamental grass. It's perfect for patio containers, or as a natural privacy screen or border liner.
And this versatile plant doesn't need much to thrive. It will grow best in conditions close to its native Southeast Asia - hot, humid and sunny. If you live in a cooler area, you can use the Sugar Cane as an annual plant, or overwinter it indoors.
Whether you're looking for a patio plant, a unique privacy screen or a tropical annual, the Sugar Cane is a great choice.
You won't find this unique tropical grass at your local garden center. And no matter where you're planting your Sugar Cane, when you get it from FastGrowingTrees.com, you get a strong, healthy plant that's ready to thrive in your landscape. We nurture and ship your Sugar Cane with care, so you get a proven performer.
Don't miss out on this one-of-a-kind plant, perfect for patios, tropical landscapes and more. Get your Sugar Cane today!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Sugar Cane plants grow best in hot, humid and sunny climates. If you live in growing zones 8-11, you can plant your Sugar Cane in the ground outdoors - in cooler climates, you'll want to use your Sugar Cane as an annual, or plant it in patio containers that you can easily move inside in the winter.
Sugar Cane is a sun lover, so find a spot with full sun and well-draining soil. It will grow best in a soil that's rich in organic matter and nutrients - you can amend your soil by mixing in a fertile compost and lime. Dig a hole twice as wide and as deep as your Sugar Cane's root ball, place your plant, backfill with soil and water well.
If you're planting your Sugar Cane in a container, select a pot one or two times larger than your shipped container, add a rich, organic potting soil, and water well. Bring your potted Sugar Cane indoors when temperatures drop below 50 degrees.
Keep in mind that Sugar Cane can spread quickly in hot, tropical environments - if you are planting your Sugar Cane in the ground in those conditions, take care to monitor the spread and cut back as needed.
2. Watering: Sugar Cane plants love moisture and humidity. Keep the soil consistently moist - if you live in an area without regular rainfall, your Sugar cane will benefit from irrigation. If your Sugar Cane is planted in a container, water more frequently.
If you plan to harvest your Sugar Cane, you can taper off watering just before harvest - a dry period will help slow growth and increase sugar production.
3. Pruning: Prune your Sugar Cane back if they grow too tall or start to sprawl outwards. You can use the cut stalks for organic mulch, or to propagate additional Sugar Cane plants.
4. Fertilizing: Sugar Cane plants will benefit from frequent fertilization, since they use up a lot of nutrients. During the summer growth period, you can fertilize your Sugar Cane weekly with a fertilizer high in nitrogen.
5. Harvesting: It can take up to two years to harvest Sugar Cane, and only when grown in the correct tropical conditions. Harvesting should be done before the plant flowers, to increase sugar concentration.
You can still order, but due to cold weather, we have delayed shipping to the areas shaded on the map below. We want your new plant to thrive right out of the box, so we will wait on shipping your order until the weather is ideal. This includes anyone in
Growing Zones 3, 4, 5, & 6. If you are unsure of your growing zone, visit our
Growing Zone Finder.
Some plants are not available for immediate shipment, and delayed delivery is noted.
We will resume normal shipping in the Spring. Please see the table below for your approximate ship date.
|Growing Zone||Shipping Resumes|
|Zones 3 & 4||Week of May 2nd|
|Zone 5||Week of April 11th|
|Zone 6||Week of March 28th|
|Zones 6 - 11||Ships Now!|
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $15||$11.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Customer Reviews & Photos
- FAST SHIPPING
GREAT CONDITION WHEN ARRIVED, FAST SHIPPING. EXACTLY WHAT I ORDERED.
When I was a kid, I would take a stalk, and take the skin off, then chew it. Don’t swallow it, just chew it. Great sweet taste. Living in south Louisiana, it’s grown here everywhere.
Great, I now have 4
Great! Easy and greatly packaged