Growing Zones: 5-9 outdoors(hardy down to -10℉) 5-9 outdoors
- Mature Height:
- 15-20 ft.
- Mature Width:
- 4-5 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- Botanical Name:
- Juniperus chinensis 'Spartan'
- Does Not Ship To:
- AZ, CA
Don't Buy Bare-Root Trees (learn why below)
The Most Popular Juniper
Why Spartan Junipers?
The tough yet attractive Spartan Juniper is a fast-growing, highly durable evergreen. In fact, it's now considered by most growers to be the most popular upright juniper on the market.
Plus, the Spartan’s fantastic tolerance to heat, cold, drought, and salt make it one of the hardiest junipers you can find. That means it’s extremely easy to grow, no matter where you live, especially since it thrives in virtually all soil types.
And it grows in a columnar shape with very dense branches, making it a good selection for those desiring a privacy hedge or wind barrier. So, whether you plant it along streets, fences or even as a standalone, it thrives without effort.
Why Fast-Growing-Trees.com is Better
But the best part about our Spartan Juniper is that we’ve planted, grown and shipped it with care. That means you’ll get an intact, healthy well-developed root system, rather than a bare-root plant, for best results. We’ve done the extra work so that you get an effortless plant.
Get good looks, strong growth and effortless care – it’s just a click away with our Spartan Juniper. Get your own today, before it’s gone!
Customer Reviews & Photos
- Jane Magnolia
- transport shock
- Fast Growing Tree
Hope to create a nice barrier
The trees have been planted, but I am figuring we won't see much growth until next year after the roots have had a chance to really get established. I will check back in 2020.
I am very satisfy on my order. The Juniper is in the grown and I am anxious to see it grow.
Great experience and great hedges!
Bought 7 total spartan junipers and it couldn’t have been better. They arrived very well packaged, right on time, and in great condition. I ordered one larger one because of available inventory and I even measured all 7 and each one was exactly to specs. They’ve been planted for about a month and I’m very excited about how they will look when they are a little taller. They are a little more unique looking than the more traditional arborvitae screen I see all over the place in my neighborhood. Great buy and great experience!
Well packaged. Arrived in two days. Soil was damp. Trees very healthy with no broken branches or brown spots. Two gallon pots were in plastic bags so no dirt was in the box. Very impressed. This was a test drive for the 30 I need in September. Only got two this time.
Very healthy at delivery
I’ve ordered several trees from this site. All come perfectly packaged and healthy. With the exception of a Jane Magnolia they’ve all done really well. I ordered two spartan Junioers 3-4 ft. Both are closer to 4 ft and quite healthy looking. They will be planted within a week or so. For now they are protected in a shady spot to ovvercome the transport shock. Will update at the end up summer. I find Fast Growing Tree’s reliable and easy to use.
Planting & Care
1. Planting: The ideal planting area should receive direct sunlight for most of the day with well-draining soil (adding rocks and gravel is a good way to ensure proper drainage). Junipers will also live in alkaline, acidic or mineral lacking soil, making them one tough tree to add to your landscape!
The soil should be thoroughly mulched, watered and weeded prior to planting. Dig a planting hole for your Juniper that’s twice as wide as the diameter and as deep as the depth of the root ball. Gently loosen the roots by untangling them at the edge of the root ball with your fingers and place your juniper in the hole. The top of the root ball should be level with the surrounding soil. Fill your hole by packing the amended soil around the root ball and gently tamp the soil down to get rid of any air pockets.
Once your tree is upright and firmly planted, spread mulch around its base, and then water the soil.
2. Watering: Water your Juniper twice a week during its first month; after, it will need to be watered regularly for the first couple months after planting. During periods of extended drought, increase your watering habit to once every week or two.
3. Fertilizing: You can give younger Juniper Trees some fertilizer once a year during the fall season to encourage healthy growth. More mature trees usually only need to be fed once every 2 to 3 years. It is best to apply a slow-release, organic granular formula such as 12-4-8 or 16-4-8 fertilizer into the soil.
4. Pruning: The best time to prune your Juniper is in the late winter to early spring. Cut your new growth back roughly halfway, as this facilitates healthy new growth and helps with the shaping of the tree to keep it attractive. Remove branches growing the wrong direction and any dead branches with hand pruners.
Most items ship the next business day unless otherwise noted
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately, however some orders may ship in 1-2 business days (we do not ship on the weekends) from date of purchase. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $15||$11.95|