Growing Zones: 3-7 outdoors(hardy down to -30℉) 3-7 outdoors
- Mature Height:
- 15-25 ft.
- Mature Width:
- 6-8 ft.
- Full Sun
- Growth Rate:
- Botanical Name:
- Juniperus scopulorum 'Wichita'
- Does Not Ship To:
- AZ, CA
Don't Buy Bare-Root Trees (learn why below)
Beautiful Blue-Gray Color Year-Round
Why Juniper ‘Wichita Blue’ Trees?
Thick and full, the moderately-sized Wichita Blue Juniper creates an impenetrable screen or windbreak but is short enough to not interfere with power lines. A row of these Junipers will add vertical interest along fences, streets and beyond, performing as screens or windbreaks.
And it's not limited to your outdoor landscape: you can snip a few branches for Christmas greenery to add beautiful blue-green color and fresh Juniper scent to your decorations.
Evergreen, long-lived and deer resistant, the Juniper stands out year-round. Silvery blue foliage shines, with none of the common winter bronzing. Plus, because the Wichita Blue typically lives 70 years or more, it's a lifetime landscape staple. Though deer aren't attracted to it, numerous birds will forage on the silvery blue berries in late summer and winter, providing a graceful show of wildlife.
Why Fast-Growing-Trees.com is Better
We’ve planted, grown and shipped our Wichita Blue with an intact root system for maximum health. By the time it arrives to your door, it’s already ready to grow. And our Juniper Trees are perfect without pruning but is customizable to your desired look.
So, you’ll receive a healthy shrub with a well-developed root system, ready to plant and grow vigorously for you. Order your own 'Wichita Blue' Tree today!
Customer Reviews & Photos
I wanted something to fill a space and make a statement - soon, so I ordered a big one - It looks great and seems to be doing well - so I am happy with the purchase
Juniper "Wichita Blue" tree
The trees were in good shape and of good quality when I received them.
High Quality, pricey , can you make a deal for a few more please ?
So far, so good!
I have high hopes for the tree. I had to transplant it twice due to my planting it a wrong location and both times, it has not skipped a beat. It is now planted in a sunny location w/ very sandy soil. The witchita blue juniper was at 3-4 feet when delivered and it has already put on a foot of growth (and that with having been moved twice). Bought it for the blue foliage and also needed a privacy screen from nosy neighbor who stands on her deck (higher than me) and stares at me. Hopefully in a few years, she'll be staring at a lovely medium sized tree.
Healthy and happy
We ordered 4 Wichita Blue Junipers in February. We were impressed with the speed of delivery, the careful packaging and the size/health of the trees. We ordered 5-6’ plants and they measured almost exactly 5’6” tall.
Planting & Care
1. Planting: The Wichita Blue should be planted in a sunny spot. Full sun is preferred and moist or well-drained soil. If planting a hedge, mark out a visual guide by placing stakes 5 to 6 feet apart and looping string around them. Plant the trees where the stakes are and they'll grow together to make a dense privacy screen.
Dig each hole so that it is just shallower than the root ball and at least three times the width. Organic mulches, such as wood chips or pine needles, also help to better soil structure as they decompose. Position the tree into the hole and hold it straight. Begin back filling the hole, tamping down the soil as you fill to prevent any air pockets from forming.
Finally, water the planting site to completely settle the soil and then mulch around the base. Mulching helps retain your soil's moisture and assists with keeping competitive growth away such as weeds and grasses.
2. Watering: The Juniper Wichita Blue is suited to most soil conditions and will happily live anywhere that is not too wet. This shrub is drought tolerant once established and should be monitored for signs of additional watering if necessary. Simply follow a regular watering schedule during the first growing season to establish a deep, extensive root system - generally, watering once weekly will suffice.
3. Fertilizing: Wichita Blues need to be fertilized every few years. It's best to fertilize early in the growing season with a well-balanced fertilizer.
4. Pruning: Pruning is only necessary to preserve a trim pyramidal shape, removing a dead branch, or if you want a more formal hedge. Height may also be managed through judicious pruning.
Most items ship the next business day unless otherwise noted
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately, however some orders may ship in 1-2 business days (we do not ship on the weekends) from date of purchase. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $15||$11.95|