* Images shown are of mature plants
|Mature Height:||12-15 ft.|
|Mature Width:||12-15 ft.|
|Year to Bear:||Can Fruit the 1st year!|
|Botanical Name:||Prunus persica|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ, AR, CA, ID, LA, WA|
|Grows Well In Zones:||4-8 outdoors|
|You are in Growing Zone:||#|
Growing Zones: 4-8 outdoors(hardy down to -20℉)
Flavorful Peaches That Grow Nearly Anywhere
Why Contender Peach Trees?
When it comes to growing peaches, the mark of a winner is the diversity of the areas where they can grow – and the Contender Peach Tree is no exception. With excellent cold hardiness and tolerance to the occasional late spring frosts, it's one of the few peach varieties that will flourish in northern regions.
And in a short time, large velvety peaches will emerge from the Contender's branches like nature's work of art. Plus, this tree’s succulent, ripe peaches delight with each juicy bite. One taste and you'll know why the Contender is considered the most flavorful and fresh peach available. Even better? Unlike other peach varieties, this hardy tree produces a reliably delicious fruit that won't go brown on you before its time.
Why Fast-Growing-Trees.com is Better
For starters, it won’t exceed 15 feet in height (even at maturity), so it fits almost anywhere. Best of all, because we’ve nurtured your tree and cared for it well at our nursery, it’s ready to produce delectable peaches in its first year of growth – no matter where you’re located. No need to wait years for peaches or pay high supermarket prices!
With care that’s a breeze and versatility that’s second to none, the Contender Peach Tree is truly one-of-a-kind. And with our Contender, you’ll have sweet, juicy fruit of your own, right from your backyard within the year. Order yours today!
Contender Peach Tree Pollination
Contender Peach Trees are self-fertile. You will get fruit with only one plant. However, adding an additional Contender Peach Tree will drastically increase the size of your crop.
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Plant your tree in well-drained soil and in a full sun area (receiving at least 6-8 hours of sunlight a day). Be sure to protect your tree from heavy winds by planting on the sunniest side of a building or your home.
When you're ready to plant, dig a hole twice as wide as the root ball and just as deep. Place your tree and cover the roots with soil, watering occasionally as you go along to remove any air pockets that may have formed. Gently pat the soil down until the roots are completely covered. Finally, water the planting site and mulch to help retain moisture in the soil.
2. Watering: Keep the soil around your Contender moist. Watering once a week by leaving a hose at the base of the tree for a couple of hours is sufficient. Once the soil around the tree has dried, water the tree again. During times of extreme heat, your tree may need additional water.
Tip: Yellowing of the leaves is a sign of overwatering while leaves that are dry and brown can be a sign of underwatering.
3. Fertilization: After your tree has been in the ground for 6 weeks, apply 1 lb. of a balanced fertilizer formula such as 12-12-12. In addition, apply ¾ lb. of fertilizer in the spring before new growth. Repeat this in the summer and fall as well.
4. Pruning: The Contender will need to be pruned the first two years in order to maintain an open center shape and encourage fruit production. Prune your tree in late winter or early spring using pruning shears and making your cuts at a 45-degree angle.
Trim away any broken/dead branches and any that are criss-crossing by making your cut right below the dead wood.
Tip: Once your tree begins to fruit, thin your peaches out. Thinning out your peaches will help to increase your overall production. Peaches on the top and outside of the tree will likely be ready to pick first. They will be fully ripe when there is no green left on the skin and they come off with a slight twist.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $15||$11.95|
|$179 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Customer Reviews & Photos
- front yard
Was packed in the most wonderful blend of wood chips & compost. Large heathy tree, & I look forward to peaches in a few years
My tree looks very healthy out in the front yard, thank you
Trees arrived in great condition and two of the three already had a large number of buds on them. I am excited to see how they produce over the next few years. Unfortunately there was a cold spell here in Wisconsin just after planting them, but despite the droopy leaves, they are still fairing quite well. As always, great products shipped in a very timely manner and in very good condition.
It looked good when arrived and still does. Its been only 3 weeks. Hopefully we watch it grow nicely.