* Images shown are of mature plants
My FGT Yard Planner
You'll need to log in or create an account in order to save this item
Have questions? Talk with our Plant Experts (800) 973-8959
Pygmy Date Palm CareView Full Planting & Care Instructions
Sunlight Plant your Pygmy Date Palm in an area that receives full-partial sun (4-6 hours of direct sunlight per day).
Watering Water your Palm 2-3 times per week for the first month, then once a week for the remainder of the first year after planting. Keep the soil moist but well-drained, watering more in times of drought and less when there is rainfall.
Fertilizing If necessary, use a palm-specific fertilizer for your Palm. Slow-release fertilizer is best to allow the smaller root system to uptake what it needs. Apply close to the base and start in spring/follow specific fertilizer instructions.
Low maintenance palm that grows indoors and out
Turn your yard into a tropical get away with the exotic Pygmy Date Palm.
Save space with this compact miniature palm. It can fit anywhere, in the corners of your garden, by the deck or pool.
Place it in a container and place it on the porch to frame entryways. If your area gets too cold for the palm, simply bring it inside once the weather gets cold.
It has upright green branches covered with long slender leaflets. The branches curve towards the top to provide an elegant open crown. It will wave hello to your guests and neighbors as they pass by, making them jealous of its beauty.
In warmer climates, you may even see your Pygmy Date Palm bloom with small, creamy white flowers, giving Pygmy Date Palms a unique, eye-catching look.
Looking for more palm trees to add to your collection? Check out our guide to popular types of palm trees.
Planting & Care
1. Planting: You don't have to immediately repot your plant - you'll only need to repot approximately every other year, once your Palm outgrows its shipped container or original pot. Increase the pot size by 2 inches each time you repot to accommodate new growth.
If growing outdoors make sure you give the palm well-draining soil and adequate space above to grow.
2. Watering: Mist your Palm weekly if kept indoors in addition to regular watering – this ensures that its native humid climate is simulated in your home. If you're not sure when to water, simply check the soil about 2 inches down. If the soil is dry here, it's time to water.
FGT Tip: If fronds begin to yellow, it could be a sign of overwatering. If you see yellowed fronds, allow time for the soil to dry before watering your plant again. Browning fronds, however, mean that your Palm is not getting enough water and needs more. Using a well-draining potting mix is key in getting this balance.
3. Pruning: Simply any fronds as they turn yellow or brown. This improves the look of your plant and creates clean space for healthier green fronds to grow.
4. Fertilizing: You can apply palm fertilizers that contain specific nutrients best suited for palms. If you prefer, you can also use a balanced fertilizer, such as an 8-8-8 formula, for quicker growth in spring and summer.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $129||$19.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Mature Height:||6-7 ft Indoors
7-12 ft Outdoors
|Mature Width:||3-5 ft Indoors
3-5 ft Outdoors
|Botanical Name:||Phoenix roebelenii|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ|
|Grows Well In Zones:||4-11 patio / 10-11 outdoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|
Growing Zones: 4-11 patio / 10-11 outdoors(hardy down to 40℉)
Customer Reviews & Photos
Pygmy date palm
Love my pygmy palm!!! It came very well protected and in good shape! I will continue to purchase from you. Very satisfied.
Healthy plant and nice looking
This will b my go to place to buy landscaping
I purchase two from a big box store and two from you. The quality of yours is much better. They arrived within 3 days healthy and ready to plant see you in the spring
Time will tell
It’s in great shape