Are you eating citrus fruits? Citrus season is here! It’s the time of the year when oranges, tangerines, clementines, and more taste the juiciest, sweetest, and best. And best of all, there’s a new, hot orange on the scene that’s delicious and easy to grow: Cara Cara Oranges.
What are Cara Cara Oranges?
A Cara Cara Orange is an all-natural hybrid orange, the result of the cross-pollination of a Washington Navel Orange and a Brazilian Bahia Navel Orange. Once the orange blossoms are pollinated, medium-sized oranges with red to pink flesh and an incredibly sweet citrus flavor are created.
Cara Cara Oranges, also known as ‘Red Fleshed Navel Oranges’, are young. They were discovered in 1976 in Venezuela, but they didn’t make their way to US markets until the ’80s and were only sold in select markets.
Reasons to Love Cara Cara Oranges
1. They’re unique. Cara Cara Oranges look like regular oranges on the outside, but with pink or red flesh on the inside.
2. They’re similar to grapefruits. Because of their flesh, they remind us of grapefruits with their pink flesh. Only these Cara Cara Oranges have such sweet flavors that you don’t need to add any sugar.
3. You don’t have to pucker up. They’re low in acid – so they aren’t sour like other types of citrus.
4. The Cara Cara Orange has nodes of berry flavors. Once you taste a Cara Cara Orange, you won’t be able to forget how delicious it is.
5. These oranges are extremely juicy and refreshing. With every bite, thirst-quenching juices spill out. Plus, squeezing these oranges for juice is easy and provides a delicious homemade beverage.