* Images shown are of mature plants
|Mature Height:||8-12 ft.|
|Mature Width:||8-12 ft.|
|Botanical Name:||Pyracantha x 'Mohave'|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ|
|Grows Well In Zones:||6-9 outdoors|
|You are in Growing Zone:||#|
Growing Zones: 6-9 outdoors(hardy down to 0℉)
Vivid Red and Green Color + Hardy Growth
Why Mohave Pyracanthas?
With the Mohave, also known as the Firethorn, you get hardy evergreen growth, shade tolerance and adaptability to challenging conditions…all with exotic color that’s second to none when it comes to evergreens. Our Mohave offers classic green vibrancy with the twist of vivid red berries – and tons of them.
Initially, the berries emerge as a deep burnt-orange but soon turn to a bright fire-engine red. And when spring arrives, white flowers will burst onto the scene and cover your shrub. Plus, the Mohave's tough nature makes it a wonderful shrub for a variety of planting options.
With a high tolerance to shade and wind exposure, this hardy evergreen works well when used to create a screen or hedge throughout the landscape. In addition to its ability to adapt to difficult conditions, the shrub is highly productive, yielding tons of flavorful fall berries, perfect for making homemade jellies and jams to enjoy throughout the holiday season.
Why Fast-Growing-Trees.com is Better
But the best part of all is our Firethorn is prepared for strong, consistent growth. Because we’ve planted and nurtured each Mohave at our nursery, you get a well-developed root system and healthy branching. We’ve put in the extra work so that you get amazing results in your own landscape.
When your planting needs call for attention, turn to the Mohave Pyracantha. And add a splash of color to your landscape today with our Firethorn!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: First, select an area with full sun (6 to 8 hours of sunlight per day) and well-drained soil. Pyracantha Shrubs grow in most soil types but prefer moist, well-drained conditions.
When you're ready to plant, dig a hole that's large enough to accommodate the shrub's root ball (with some extra width to make room for mature growth), place your shrub and backfill the soil. We recommend watering to settle the roots and mulching to conserve moisture.
2. Watering: Occasional deep watering from early spring to late fall with 1 inch of water per week or more during hot, dry periods of weather provides enough moisture for the shrub. Use a garden hose and water at the soil level.
If you're not sure when to water, check the soil with your index finger, about 3 inches down. If the soil is dry, water until it's moist. Stop watering during the winter months.
3. Fertilizing: Annual fertilization when new growth begins in late winter can help boost the growth of your Pyracantha. A balanced, slow-release fertilizer such as 8-8-8 or 10-10-10 at a rate of 1 tablespoon per foot of height is sufficient for each plant.
4. Pruning: Prune Pyracantha during the spring after it finishes blooming. Remove any dead or diseased wood at its point of origin. To maintain shape, select wayward or leggy side shoots and cut them back to the first three leaves or cluster of berries. Remove lower branches for a treelike form or leave them in place for a more natural shape. The Pyracantha has sharp thorns, so wear thick gloves while pruning to avoid injuries.
You can still order, but due to cold weather, we have delayed shipping to the areas shaded on the map below. We want your new plant to thrive right out of the box, so we will wait on shipping your order until the weather is ideal. This includes anyone in
Growing Zones 3, 4, 5, & 6. If you are unsure of your growing zone, visit our
Growing Zone Finder.
Some plants are not available for immediate shipment, and delayed delivery is noted.
We will resume normal shipping in the Spring. Please see the table below for your approximate ship date.
|Growing Zone||Shipping Resumes|
|Zones 3 & 4||Week of May 2nd|
|Zone 5||Week of April 11th|
|Zone 6||Week of March 28th|
|Zones 6 - 11||Ships Now!|
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $15||$11.95|
|$179 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Customer Reviews & Photos
- Fast Growing Trees
Defense Against Bad Neighbors
I bought the Mohave Pyracantha shrubs to replace a small flower garden I'd planted in memory of my mom, who'd always wanted a flower garden but never had one. My next-door neighbor intentionally let her pit bull run circles in it for 2-1/2 minutes, completely destroying the flowers, and then laughed about it. Hopefully, these will prevent it from happening again.
They arrived a little dry but Pyracantha are tough. Watered them and they are fine. Well established plants of good size with excellent roots system!! I'm happy..these are hard to find!!
Three firethorn delivered
Arrived in good shape..planted same day...impressed with condition and extensive root ball. Thank you!
Beautiful Plants but...
They were so root bound that I’m not sure they’ll survive the untangling. There was very little actual soil in the container as well. Keep your fingers crossed.
We have ordered from Fast Growing Trees two years in a row and the plants are exceptional. Having ordered the same plants previously from another company (all of which died over the 2 years) I have valid comparisons and your trees are the best.