Growing Zones: 4-8 outdoors(hardy down to -20℉) 4-8 outdoors
- Mature Height:
- 3-6 ft.
- Mature Width:
- 2-4 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- Botanical Name:
- Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Nana Gracilis'
- Does Not Ship To:
The Perfect Evergreen for Small Spaces
Why Dwarf Hinoki Cypress Trees?
With the Dwarf Hinoki, you get full evergreen foliage in a smaller, more compact growth habit. This makes the Hinoki perfect for front doors, in borders, beds and rock gardens.
Plus, the Dwarf Hinoki's slow, upright growth makes it well-suited for compromised planting locations. So, tough growing conditions are no problem, and it can even tolerate some shade. Basically, the versatile Cypress will dress up any location you choose, and fit like a glove in the tightest of planting sites. And that upright growth makes pruning virtually unnecessary.
Even better is the fact that it can be container-planted. That means topiaries next to your entryway or a border of trees flanking your deck. No matter where the Dwarf Hinoki is planted, it's right at home.
Why Fast-Growing-Trees.com is Better
Aside from its good looks and effortless growth, your Dwarf Hinoki is better because it's planted, grown and shipped with care. When your Hinoki arrives it your door, it's already got a healthy, better-developed root system...you won't get a tree this full and green from your local big-box store.
Spruce up the tightest spaces in your landscape - get your Cypress Dwarf Hinoki today!
Customer Reviews & Photos
Planting & Care
1. Planting: First, find an area with proper sunlight (around 4 to 6 hours per day) and well-drained soil. Then, dig your hole twice as large the root ball and just a little shallower. The top of the root flare (where the roots end and the trunk begins) should be about an inch above the surrounding soil. Hold the tree straight as you begin to backfill the site, tamping down the soil as you go. When it's completely backfilled, apply water to settle the soil and remove any air pockets.
If you're container-planting, select a pot that's twice the width of your plant's shipped container, use organic potting soil, place your tree, and water to settle the roots.
2. Watering: Water your Hinoki Cypress evenly until the soil becomes moist. Allow the soil to dry for a few days, until it feels dry to the touch about 2 inches below the surface. A slow drip from a garden hose works best as it allows the water to penetrate the soil deep down to the roots without over saturating it.
During excessive hot and dry weather, you may need to water up to three times weekly.
For container-planted Hinokis, stick your finger into the potting soil down to a depth of 2 inches and feel around for any moisture. If the soil is drying out, go ahead and water it until you see it escaping the drainage holes and then stop.
3. Fertilizing: Fertilize your tree well after a year of growth using a general fertilizer, such as a 10-10-10 formula. Feed once every spring will give it a boost.
4. Pruning: If you intend on letting your Cypress grow to its full, mature height, then very little pruning will be needed. If you plan to keep your trees from growing past a certain point or want them to stay in an ornate shape, prune more regularly.
Most items ship the next business day unless otherwise noted
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately, however some orders may ship in 1-2 business days (we do not ship on the weekends) from date of purchase. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $15||$11.95|
|$125 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
You can still order, but due to cold weather, we have delayed shipping to the areas shaded on the map below. We want your new plant to thrive right out of the box, so we will wait on shipping your order until the weather is ideal. This includes anyone in
Growing Zones 3 - 5. If you are unsure of your growing zone, visit our
Growing Zone Finder.
Some plants are not available for immediate shipment, and delayed delivery is noted.
We will resume normal shipping in the Spring. Please see the table below for your approximate ship date.
|Growing Zone||Shipping Resumes|
|Zones 3 & 4||Week of May 4th|
|Zone 5||Week of April 13th|
|Zones 6 - 11||Ships Now!|