* Images shown are of mature plants
My FGT Yard Planner
You'll need to log in or create an account in order to save this item
Add This Award-Winning Houseplant to Your Collection!
Why Calathea Makoyana Plants?
Take your house plant collection to the next level with this 2018 Royal Horticultural Society’s Award of Garden Merit winner! A native of South America, the Calathea Makoyana delivers tons of visual interest, and will thrive in the right conditions.
It gets its many nicknames, like “Cathedral Windows” and "Peacock Plant," from its large leaves, decorated with pale green and white stripes and prominent deep green markings. Adding to the striking display of the Makoyana is the deep purple-burgundy underside of its leaves.
The Calathea Makoyana is also known as a “Prayer Plant,” due to its unique leaf behavior. The leaves of the Makoyana move to follow the light throughout the day and night, opening up and fanning out during the day and folding up at night, like a pair of hands in prayer.
As long as it has indirect light and a humid environment, this one-of-a-kind house plant will thrive. Plus, it's non-toxic, making it an excellent choice for homes with kids or pets.
Why FastGrowingTrees.com is Better
Grown and nurtured in our nursery, your Calathea Makoyana is set up to thrive in your home. And we ship our Calathea Makoyanas with care, so that they’re ready to grow on day one.
Now, you reap the rewards of our hard work with a high-quality, personalized experience that you won’t get from other nurseries or big box stores. Healthy roots, happy plants, and hassle-free good looks await – get your Calathea Makoyana today!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Calatheas do well with indirect bright light. Place your plant in front of a bright window but be sure to keep it away from drafty areas.When you're repotting or planting your plant, select a container that's twice the width of the shipped container and one that has drainage holes. Use a well-draining container potting mix then place your plant and water to settle the roots. If your potting mix needs more drainage we recommend mixing in perlite to help.
2. Watering: Calatheas can be quite particular when it comes to watering, so try to be consistent and only water when around 75% of the soil is dry. You can test this by putting your finger in the soil to check its level of moisture. Too little or too much water will result in brown and yellowing leaves.
In addition to watering, keep the environment humid (over 40% is ideal) by using a cool misting humidifier or mist the plant a couple times a week.
FGT Tip: If your leaves are still yellowing and browning and you have ruled out too little or too much water, try using filtered water next time you water your plants.
3. Fertilizing: The main growing season of your Calathea plant is during the months of March-October. You will want to fertilize during these months with a balanced houseplant fertilizer. Follow product instructions for more specifics.
4. Pruning: Little pruning is needed but occasionally you will need to prune any dead or damaged leaves off. Simply trim the leaf at the base with a sharp pair of pruners.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $129||$19.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Mature Height:||2 ft.|
|Mature Width:||1-2 ft.|
|Botanical Name:||Calathea makoyana|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ|
|Grows Well In Zones:||Indoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|
Growing Zones: Indoors
Customer Reviews & Photos
- prayer hands
I love it
Looks great…thriving well!
Arrived in quality packaging, plants were well preserved and healthy
I love it, it is my new favorite!
It showed up larger than I expected. I love the colors of the leaves so much and how they close up at night. I am so happy I purchased it through Fast Growing Trees, I will be buying many more plants!
Very impressed with the quality of the plants and how perfectly they are shipped. Highly recommend!
I received this plant along with 3 others. The soil was bone dry and leaves had signs of sun damage. Customer service reply was to expect some broken leaves from shipping but that once they were planted they should bounce back in a week or 2 and to follow up in 30 days if I wasn't happy. I've purchased these to be indoors per the description. This is the 1st time that I have been disappointed with a purchase from Fast Growing trees since I began purchasing from them.
We apologize for the concerns with your plants upon arrival. The heat has likely caused some stress to your plant, but it looks beautiful and should have no problems making a full recovery! We have the order notated so if it takes a turn for the worse, please let us know and we'll make it right!