* Images shown are of mature plants
My FGT Yard Planner
You'll need to log in or create an account in order to save this item
Versatile and Rare Plant with Pinstripe Pattern
Why Calathea Ornata Plants?
Create tropical interest for your indoor spaces with this rare house plant! A native plant of South America, the Calathea Ornata packs a big punch, and will thrive in the right conditions.
It gets its name, “Ornata,” from the ornate pattern on its deep-green leaves. Also known as the “Pinstripe Plant,” the Ornata’s glossy foliage is decorated by thin, even stripes of yellow and pink. Adding to the striking display is the deep purple underside of its leaves.
The Calathea Ornata is also commonly known as a “Prayer Plant,” due to its unique leaf behavior. The leaves of the Ornata open and fan out during the day and fold up at night, resembling a pair of hands put together in prayer.
An added bonus of the Calathea Ornata? It's non-toxic, making it an excellent choice if animals or children are close by. The Calathea Ornata is fast-growing and thrives best in full to partial sun conditions with moist soil.
Why FastGrowingTrees.com is Better
The best part about our Calathea Ornata? It's set up to thrive in your home. We've carefully grown and meticulously monitored your new Calathea Ornata from start to finish. And we ship our Calathea Ornatas with care, so that they’re ready to grow when they arrive at your door.
Now, you reap the rewards of our hard work with a high-quality, personalized experience that you won’t get from other nurseries or big box stores. Healthy roots, happy plants, and hassle-free good looks await – get your Calathea Ornata Pinstripe Plant today!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: The Calathea Ornata does well with indirect bright light. Place your Pinstripe plant in front of a bright window, but be sure to keep it away from drafty areas. When you're repotting or planting your plant, select a container that's twice the width of the shipped container and one that has drainage holes. Use a well-draining container potting mix then place your plant and water to settle the roots.If your potting mix needs more drainage we recommend mixing in perlite to help.
2. Watering: Calatheas can be quite particular when it comes to watering, so try to be consistent and only water when around 75% of the soil is dry. You can test this by putting your finger in the soil to check its level of moisture. Too little or too much water will result in brown and yellowing leaves.
In addition to watering, keep the environment humid (over 40% is ideal) by using a cool misting humidifier or mist the plant a couple times a week.
FGT Tip: If your leaves are still yellowing and browning and you have ruled out too little or too much water try using filtered water next time you water your plants.
3. Fertilizing: The main growing season of your calathea plant is during the months of March-October. You will want to fertilize during these months with a balanced houseplant fertilizer. Follow product instructions for more specifics.
4. Pruning: Little pruning is needed but occasionally you will need to prune any dead or damaged leaves off. Simply trim the leaf at the base with a sharp pair of pruners.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $149||$19.95|
|$149 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Mature Height:||2 ft.|
|Mature Width:||1-2 ft.|
|Botanical Name:||Calathea ornata|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ|
|Grows Well In Zones:||Indoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|
Growing Zones: Indoors
Customer Reviews & Photos
My plant arrived in great condition. Planted the same day and now I’m enjoying it’s beauty.