* Images shown are of mature plants
My FGT Yard Planner
You'll need to log in or create an account in order to save this item
Have questions? Talk with our Plant Experts (800) 973-8959
An Unbeatably Unique and Easy Tropical Flower!
Add a unique touch to your landscape with the Weeping Blue Ginger! This tropical perennial (Dichorisandra thyrsiflora) features glossy, elongated leaves, topped with gently weeping, violet-blue blooms.
Growing in clumps, the Blue Ginger supports itself with thin stalks and subtly striped foliage that resemble the edible ginger plant. But despite its nickname, it’s not actually related to edible ginger - it's a closer relative to the Spiderwort.
Versatile for planting both indoors and out, the mid-sized Blue Ginger grows between 3-8 feet tall and 3 feet wide. In summer through fall, your Blue Ginger blooms with eye-catching, weeping flower stalks, adorned with violet-blue blossoms. You might even witness several instances of these vibrant blooms throughout the year!
Pair your Blue Ginger with similar tropical and subtropical evergreen plants like Plumeria and Bromeliads. In warmer climates, your Blue Ginger plant can be incorporated into your landscape - in areas with cooler winters, keep your Blue Ginger in a patio pot that you can easily transfer indoors and out, or maintain it as a house plant.
A true jack-of-all-trades, this tropical beauty brightens up gardens, living rooms, and walkways equally well. And it's incredibly easy to maintain - the Blue Ginger plant tolerates drought conditions and dry air, needs only partial sun and can be easily pruned to control its height.
Why FastGrowingTrees.com is Better
You won't find this versatile, one-of-a-kind plant in most garden centers. And when you order your Blue Ginger from FastGrowingTrees.com, you'll get gorgeous tropical color, along with strong, healthy growth.
Get the exotic beauty of the vibrant, easy-growing Blue Ginger in your home. These colorful plants sell fast – order yours today!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: If you're planting your Blue Ginger outdoors in a tropical climate, choose a location with well-drained soil and full to partial sunlight (4 to 8 hours of sunlight per day). Dig a hole that’s large enough to accommodate the root ball. Remove your plant from its original container, position it into the hole, and backfill the soil.
If you’re planting your Blue Ginger in a container, choose a pot that’s about twice the width of your plant’s shipped container, use organic soil mix and place your plant. Also, ensure your pot has drainage holes.
2. Watering: The Blue Ginger plant is surprisingly drought-tolerant - let the soil dry out between waterings. For indoor or container-planted Blue Ginger, water thoroughly until you see water draining from the pot, and ensure it's not sitting in water.
3. Fertilizing: Your Blue Ginger plant will thrive with some fertilizer, but too much can turn the leaves brown, so avoid over-applying. Use a well-balanced fertilizer (like a 15-15-15 blend) every few months during the growing season. Indoors, use a liquid house plant fertilizer that's made for flowering plants.
4. Pruning: Prune back the plant after the flowering season to conserve energy. You can also cut back the top to maintain a smaller size.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $129||$19.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Mature Height:||3-8 ft.|
|Mature Width:||3 ft.|
|Botanical Name:||Dichorisandra pendulafiora|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ|
|Grows Well In Zones:||4-11 patio / 9-11 outdoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|
Growing Zones: 4-11 patio / 9-11 outdoors(hardy down to 30℉)
Customer Reviews & Photos
Arrived in perfect condition
This item is very nice, beginnings of some blooms.
Very beautiful plant and I love the price. For that money one can fly to Brazil, get a plan for free and come back to the US with a suntan.