Growing Zones: 5-8 outdoors(hardy down to -10℉) 5-8 outdoors
- Mature Height:
- 8-10 ft.
- Mature Width:
- 6-8 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- Harvest Time:
- Year to Bear:
- Can Fruit the 1st year!
- Botanical Name:
- Corylus avellana 'Theta'
- Does Not Ship To:
- AZ, CA
Don't Buy Bare-Root Trees (learn why below)
Conveniently-Sized Hazelnut Can Produce in 1 Year
Why Theta Filbert Hazelnut Trees?
It's a classic tree, now grown for optimal benefits. Not only can it produce fruit in its first season, under optimal conditions, but it's also carefree. What else makes the Theta Filbert a must-have?
- It's a beautiful tree with large, thick green leaves.
- It's resistant to pests and diseases, including Eastern Filbert Blight and tolerant of heat and humidity.
- And it's conveniently-sized, topping out at 8 to 10 feet in height.
Experts at Oregon State University set out to engineer the perfect Hazelnut Tree, and the result was the Theta Filbert. Aside from the numerous qualities of the tree itself, the hazelnuts are some of the best we've seen. Gorgeous, glistening, copper-colored hazelnuts abound. Created to produce high yields, the Theta's nuts fill their husks in great numbers. What's more, the Theta's flowers will pollinate and help increase production in your Jefferson Filbert Trees as well.
Why Fast-Growing-Trees.com is Better
As September rolls in, you'll be ready to harvest rich, buttery and flavorful hazelnuts from your own backyard. Your family will enjoy them fresh off the tree or used to create a diversity of culinary treats for many seasons to come. That's because we've planted, grown and nurtured your Theta Hazelnut for best results, and you reap the rewards, effortlessly. We've put in the hard work at our nursery so you don't have to. That means your Hazelnut Tree arrives with a healthy, better-developed root system.
With all these incredible benefits, ordering the Theta Filbert hazelnut Tree is a must. Get yours today!
Customer Reviews & Photos
Great tree ready to plant when I received it
Arrived promptly and in excellent condition!
Purchased a Theta, Jefferson and a York to complement my existing Americans. Plants arrived promptly, packaged properly, and in excellent condition. Can't wait to see them flourish! Can't wait for the Tonda di Giffoni to become available as well. I highly recommend FGT!
Really too early to tell.
We are planting in south central Iowa in an old fence line on a high hill. I managed to get them planted within 48 hours of delivery. The root ball appeared to be slightly dry when I opened the bag, so I oversized the hole, staked the trees, and flooded it with water. The trees are looking well and I have not watered since. (We have been getting about 3" of rain per week on average. They looked better within a day or two than when they arrived. Plan to order more in the future.
We're thrilled to hear that your trees are doing well and we cannot wait to see how they do!
Tree came in excellent condition and I transplanted it in a good potting soil in a thirty gallon pot just to get it established so I can water it good and later transplant it .
Theta Filibert Hazelnut
The trees or bushes are great. I would buy them again. I liked the Thomas Jefferson and the Theta very much. I planted them on the same side of my yard.
Planting & Care
1. Planting: These trees can tolerate partial shade but prefer around 6 hours of sunlight daily. Avoid planting your tree in areas of your yard that are prone to flooding...well-drained soil is best.
Dig a hole that’s just as deep as the root ball, and three times as wide. Make sure that your tree is straight and that the root collar is level with the surrounding ground. Backfill your hole and gently tamp the soil down as you go to eliminate air pockets. Finally, water and then mulch the area to deter competing growth and to preserve soil moisture.
2. Watering: Feel your soil every few days. Once it feels like it’s close to drying out about 3 inches down, give your tree a slow drink of water by holding a hose to its base and counting to 30 seconds.
3. Fertilizing: We suggest waiting two to three years before fertilizing. To give your tree a boost, feed with well-balanced organic fertilizer, like formula 10-10-10, in the late winter or early spring.
4. Pruning: The best time to prune is in the late winter or early spring when your tree is still dormant. Be sure to remove any dead or broken branches, as well as crisscrossing or rubbing branches.
Most items ship the next business day unless otherwise noted
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately, however some orders may ship in 1-2 business days (we do not ship on the weekends) from date of purchase. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $15||$11.95|