Growing Zones: 4-8 outdoors(hardy down to -20℉) 4-8 outdoors
- Mature Height:
- 10-12 ft.
- Mature Width:
- 8-12 ft.
- Full Sun
- Growth Rate:
- Harvest Time:
- Year to Bear:
- Can Fruit the 1st year!
- Botanical Name:
- Prunus cerasus 'North Star'
- Does Not Ship To:
- AZ, CA, ID, WA
Don't Buy Bare-Root Trees (learn why below)
Cold Hardy Growth and Cherries in the First Year
Why North Star Cherry Trees?
Introduced by the University of Minnesota in 1950, the dwarf North Star Cherry Tree is bred for abundant, fast production of delicious cherries and cold hardy adaptability. And the North Star is especially versatile because its plump, tart cherries are considered ideal for snacking directly from the tree, baking, and more.
Plus, its dwarf size means it’s well-suited to any space, small or large. This self-fertile tree is ultra-adaptable, so it’s a proven producer in all types of landscapes. And though it doesn’t need another cherry tree to fruit, more trees mean even bigger bounties.
Why Fast-Growing-Trees.com is Better
Aside from its cold hardiness, disease resistance and acclimation to any soil type, the North Star Cherry Tree is second to none because it’s selected by experts. It’s a proven performer, with consistent fruiting season after season, since it’s been planted, monitored and grown in advance at our nursery.
We’ve done the hard work so that you get a hassle-free and healthy tree. Imagine the promise of delectable cherries in just one year, with a summer harvest and home-grown fruit of your own. Order your own North Star Cherry Tree today!
North Star Cherry Pollination
North Star Cherrys are self-fertile. You will get fruit with only one plant. However, adding an additional pollinator will drastically increase the size of your crop. Below are the most effective pollinators we have chosen for your area...
Customer Reviews & Photos
- cherry tree
- North Star
Okay, now we wait
We rec'd this North Star 5-6 ft as a gift. It arrived with many leaves intact. We planted the tree two days after it arrived. Two days after planting per directions the tree dropped all its leaves. So now we wait, winter is here, so spring time will tell us if we have a new tree!
Looks healthy and well-packaged
Looking good, just planted and hoping for great results in the spring here in zone 4b.
Top quality trees
My trees arrived in excellent condition and were planted immediately. They look great so far. I expect them to thrive and in time produce more cherries than I can eat.
The package was outstanding and the tree was outstanding as well.
Arrived in great condition. Easy to plant, hopefully it was be great come spring.
Planting & Care
1. Planting: The North Star prefers full sun but will tolerate some shade - select a location that receives at least 6 to 8 hours of sunlight per day for best results. Also select an area with well-drained soil. When you're ready to plant, dig a hole that's three times the width of the root ball and just as deep. Place your tree, back fill the soil, tamp down and water to settle the roots. Spread a layer of mulch around the surrounding soil to preserve moisture.
2. Watering: During the growing season, if your tree receives at least an inch of rain every 10 days then no additional irrigation is necessary. If the season is hot and dry, then you may need to provide some additional water. The best way to water is by using a slow trickling garden hose left at the base of the tree. If you're not sure when to water, however, simply check the soil about 2 or 3 inches down. If the soil here is dry, it's time to water.
3. Pruning: A year after planting your North Star Cherry Tree, prune during winter. Shape the tree to encourage horizontal branch growth with space between branches. And prune once a year as necessary to remove weak, drooping branches.
4. Fertilizing: Fertilize in the spring and mid-summer using nitrogen fertilizer twice annually, applying 2 weeks after planting and 4 weeks after the first application. Use a complete fertilizer such as 10-10-10 - fertilizer application ratios vary upon the formulation, so be sure to follow package directions. When applying, be sure fertilizer is 6 to 8 inches away from the trunk around the tree.
Tips: In colder climates, avoid fertilizing after mid-summer to prevent new growth that won’t harden before fall frosts.
Most items ship the next business day unless otherwise noted
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately, however some orders may ship in 1-2 business days (we do not ship on the weekends) from date of purchase. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $15||$11.95|