* Images shown are of mature plants
Large, Heart-Shaped Plum, Sweeter & Juicier
Why Elephant Heart Plum Trees?
Delivering sweet, juicy heart-shaped plums each fall, the Elephant Heart Plum Tree lives up to its name, giving you a huge bounty of large plums that are smooth and delicious right off the branches.
A Japanese variety, the Elephant Heart Plum blooms and ripens earlier than its European counterparts. They are not generally self-pollinated and can be tricky to grow in areas with late frosts, but are superb for fresh eating. Plus, they are the favored selection for fresh eating varieties because they're rounder and firmer than similar varieties.
You'll get a consistent, heavy crop of sweet plums from this reliable and hardy producer. With more vigorous and disease-resistant blooms that give way to fresh, home-grown fruit, the Elephant Heart Plum is a favorite for home gardeners, from novices to experts.
Planting & Care
1. Planting: First, find an area with well-drained soil and full sun (6 to 8 hours of sunlight per day). Once you've selected your location, dig a hole that's approximately a foot and a half deep and equally as wide. Place your tree in the hole, tamp down the surrounding soil to remove air pockets, and then water to settle the roots. Finally, spread a layer of mulch over the soil around your tree to help encourage healthy growth and preserve moisture.
2. Watering: Water young trees heavily during the first growing season to help promote growth, then water regularly. Best to water deeply at the soil line, let the soil dry out slightly then water again. Do not let the soil become fully dry. Water well into the early autumn, to have good soil moisture through the winter.
3. Pruning: A year after planting your tree, prune in the late winter, while it's still dormant. Shape the tree to encourage horizontal branch growth with space between branches. Prune once a year as necessary to remove weak, drooping branches.
4. Fertilizing: Fertilize in the spring and midsummer using low-nitrogen fertilizer, applying 2 weeks after planting and 4 weeks after the first application. Use a complete fertilizer, such as 10-10-10, and apply 6 to 8 inches away from the trunk.
5. Location: Your location should include full sun and if possible, sheltered from excessive wind exposure. South or West facing spots out of the wind are best. Plums are tolerant of urban pollution issues and will do well in city environments. Avoid planting in low-lying areas where late spring frosts are more common.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $49||$19.95|
|$49 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Mature Height:||18-20 ft.|
|Mature Width:||18-20 ft.|
|Botanical Name:||Prunus salicina 'Elephant Heart'|
|Does Not Ship To:||AR,AZ,ID,LA,WA,CA|
|Grows Well In Zones:||5-8 outdoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|