Growing Zones: 6-10 outdoors(hardy down to 0℉) 6-10 outdoors
- Mature Height:
- 15-25 ft.
- Mature Width:
- 15-20 ft.
- Full Sun
- Growth Rate:
- Drought Tolerance:
- Harvest Time:
- Year to Bear:
- 1-2 years
- Botanical Name:
- Ficus carica 'Desert King'
- Does Not Ship To:
Prized for Both Fruit and Foliage in California
Why Desert King Fig Trees?
Fresh, high-quality fruit is just a click away with the Desert King Fig Tree. Even better, this coveted cultivar is productive and reliable, producing bushels of yellow-green figs with sweet, richly-flavored and strawberry-hued flesh. Plus, because it's grown in California, it's a proven performer for your Golden State landscape.
And the Desert King is easy to grow. Because the Desert’s fruit ripens during middle to late summer, it’s a choice variety for gardeners in coastal, high elevation, and other cool regions. And it withstands fruit-damaging late spring frosts like a champ. So, it’s adaptable to your needs, especially since it thrives just about anywhere you place it.
Why Fast-Growing-Trees.com is Better
For one, this Desert King isn't bothered by pests and diseases like many other fruit trees, meaning low-maintenance care for you. Also, it can be kept smaller and more manageable with pruning or left to its gorgeous growth, so it’s super versatile. But best of all, because it’s been meticulously nurtured at the nursery long before it arrives to your door, it’s ready to go and grow in your own landscape. It's California bred specially for California homes.
Imagine an at-home orchard full of healthful, hearty fruit. The Desert King is second to none with it comes to harvesting you own bushels - order yours today!
Desert King Fig Tree Pollination
Desert King Fig Trees are self-fertile. You will get fruit with only one plant. However, adding an additional Desert King Fig Tree will drastically increase the size of your crop.
Customers who bought this item also bought...
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Start by choosing a location for your Desert King Fig that receives full sun, around 6 to 8 hours per day. Also, ensure you plant your tree after the final freeze of the season.
To plant your Desert King Fig Tree, dig a hole deep enough to cover its root ball. After placing your tree, tamp down the soil several times while backfilling and then water your tree to settle the soil that’s around the roots.
2. Watering: You'll need to water your Desert King Fig Tree deeply and regularly in the first growing season and until it is established (weekly waterings are ideal). Check if it’s ready to water by feeling the soil – If it is dry, you should water the tree. Once your Fig Tree is established, you can water every week or every two weeks during milder weather.
3. Pruning: To maintain the size of your tree in your yard or pot, prune your tree lightly during late winter.
4. Fertilizing: Generally, Desert King Figs should be fed during early spring with a well-balanced fruit tree fertilizer.
5. Harvesting: Some varieties of figs can bear two crops per year: The first crop, known as the Breba crop, is produced in the spring. The second, which is the main crop, is produced in the fall on that same year's growth. The Desert King is one of the most productive versions of these, with each branch able to bear up to 6 to 8 fruits. When it comes time to harvest, allow your figs to ripen on the tree, and pick them when they become somewhat soft.
Most items ship the next business day unless otherwise noted
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately, however some orders may ship in 1-2 business days (we do not ship on the weekends) from date of purchase. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $15||$11.95|