* Images shown are of mature plants
|Mature Height:||6-8 ft|
|Mature Width:||6-8 ft.|
|Botanical Name:||Ilex verticillata 'Winter Red'|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ|
|Grows Well In Zones:||3-9 outdoors|
|You are in Growing Zone:||#|
Growing Zones: 3-9 outdoors(hardy down to -30℉)
The Cold Hardiest of All Holly Varieties
Why Winter Red Winterberry Hollies?
Breaking the stereotypes that suggest hollies will only flourish in the south, the Winter Red Winterberry Holly has an extremely high tolerance for freezing temperatures as well as heavy layers of ice and snow. It truly lives up to its name and not only survives, but flourishes.
Every fall, these deciduous Winter Reds develop vibrant red berries that pop against the green foliage and stay throughout the season, even after the leaves drop. They glow in the landscape, providing bursts of color in the empty winter countryside. New growth emerges dark burgundy in the spring before maturing to signature green, imparting further visual interest.
Plus, Winter Red Hollies are compact shrubs, so they’ll fit perfectly as ornamental shrubs in smaller areas. They’re perfect for accenting gardens and framing porches, or planting in a row for a dense privacy screen. And though you do need an Apollo Winterberry to pollinate your Winter Red, planting and growing are simple.
Why Fast-Growing-Trees.com is Better
Aside from the good looks and easygoing growth of our Winter Red Winterberry, you get proven performance, year over year. At our nursery, we’ve planted and grown each Winterberry Holly with the utmost care. That means high-quality benefits once it arrives to your door, along with consistent results from season to season.
So, why wait? Get the classic, stunning growth and no-hassle care of the Winter Red in your own landscape. Order your Winter Red Holly today!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Choose a location where your Winter Red will receive full sun (6 to 8 hours of sunlight per day) and well-drained soil. If you’re in an area where hot, dry summers are common, provide your plant with partial shade in the afternoon.
Dig a hole that’s as deep as the root ball and twice the width. Amend the soil with acid-rich compost made from organic matter. Carefully remove the plant from its container and place it in the hole. Fill the hole surrounding the roots with soil, tamping down firmly. Water your plant to help remove air pockets from the soil.
2. Watering: Water your Winterberry Holly regularly after planted, ensuring the soil is moist to a depth 2 inches down. Once the plant is established, it will be somewhat drought tolerant but will produce a larger amount of flowers and berries if watered regularly.
3. Fertilizing: Winter Reds do not typically need to be fertilized unless they’re growing more slowly than normal. If this is the case, apply 10-10-10 fertilizer in spring around the base of the plant. Be sure to follow the application instructions on the label for optimum performance.
4. Pruning: Prune your Winterberry in early spring to remove any dead or diseased branches, or branches that are criss-crossing and rubbing together. Make your cuts at a 45-degree angle, ensuring the clipping tools are sterilized with alcohol.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $15||$11.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Customer Reviews & Photos
Looked healthy out of the box, planted it before the rains and looks happy and settled. Can't wait for them to produce in the fall....and I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the American Beauty bushes as well. I bought 3! It's really not fair to ask the question so soon...ask at the end of the season...and then I'll know for certain that the review is true.
Arrived in good shape and healthy looking. Planted and waiting for it to grow and look like the picture of a beautiful redberry holly shrub. thank you Springtown, Texas.
Shrub arrived in good condition and is doing well in the garden.
Speeeeeedy Delivery!! Nice looking Plants!!