Growing Zones: 3-9 outdoors(hardy down to -30℉)
This plant may not thrive in your area
- Mature Height:
- 6-8 ft
- Mature Width:
- 6-8 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- Botanical Name:
- Ilex verticillata 'Winter Red'
- Does Not Ship To:
The Cold Hardiest of All Holly Varieties
Why Winter Red Winterberry Hollies?
Breaking the stereotypes that suggest hollies will only flourish in the south, the Winter Red Winterberry Holly has an extremely high tolerance for freezing temperatures as well as heavy layers of ice and snow. It truly lives up to its name and not only survives, but flourishes.
Every fall, these deciduous Winter Reds develop vibrant red berries that pop against the green foliage and stay throughout the season, even after the leaves drop. They glow in the landscape, providing bursts of color in the empty winter countryside. New growth emerges dark burgundy in the spring before maturing to signature green, imparting further visual interest.
Plus, Winter Red Hollies are compact shrubs, so they’ll fit perfectly as ornamental shrubs in smaller areas. They’re perfect for accenting gardens and framing porches, or planting in a row for a dense privacy screen. And though you do need an Apollo Winterberry to pollinate your Winter Red, planting and growing are simple.
Why Fast-Growing-Trees.com is Better
Aside from the good looks and easygoing growth of our Winter Red Winterberry, you get proven performance, year over year. At our nursery, we’ve planted and grown each Winterberry Holly with the utmost care. That means high-quality benefits once it arrives to your door, along with consistent results from season to season.
So, why wait? Get the classic, stunning growth and no-hassle care of the Winter Red in your own landscape. Order your Winter Red Holly today!
Customer Reviews & Photos
Shrubs arrived right on time and planted around Christmas. Looking forward to seeing them come to life in the spring!
Trees and shrubs
Received the plant and planted per instructions. After 1 week lost a few leaves but the following there was multiple leaves budding on the stems. Looking forward to start seeing the growth.
This was purchased for me it came packed very well looks very healthy.
Too early for a complete input.
Arrived in good condition. Planted & watering. Final input next year....
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Choose a location where your Winter Red will receive full sun (6 to 8 hours of sunlight per day) and well-drained soil. If you’re in an area where hot, dry summers are common, provide your plant with partial shade in the afternoon.
Dig a hole that’s as deep as the root ball and twice the width. Amend the soil with acid-rich compost made from organic matter. Carefully remove the plant from its container and place it in the hole. Fill the hole surrounding the roots with soil, tamping down firmly. Water your plant to help remove air pockets from the soil.
2. Watering: Water your Winterberry Holly regularly after planted, ensuring the soil is moist to a depth 2 inches down. Once the plant is established, it will be somewhat drought tolerant but will produce a larger amount of flowers and berries if watered regularly.
3. Fertilizing: Winter Reds do not typically need to be fertilized unless they’re growing more slowly than normal. If this is the case, apply 10-10-10 fertilizer in spring around the base of the plant. Be sure to follow the application instructions on the label for optimum performance.
4. Pruning: Prune your Winterberry in early spring to remove any dead or diseased branches, or branches that are criss-crossing and rubbing together. Make your cuts at a 45-degree angle, ensuring the clipping tools are sterilized with alcohol.
Most items ship the next business day unless otherwise noted
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately, however some orders may ship in 1-2 business days (we do not ship on the weekends) from date of purchase. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $15||$11.95|
You can still order, but due to cold weather, we have delayed shipping to the areas shaded on the map below. We want your new plant to thrive right out of the box, so we will wait on shipping your order until the weather is ideal. This includes anyone in
Growing Zones 3 - 6. If you are unsure of your growing zone, visit our
Growing Zone Finder.
Some plants are not available for immediate shipment, and delayed delivery is noted.
We will resume normal shipping in the Spring. Please see the table below for your approximate ship date.
|Growing Zone||Shipping Resumes|
|Zones 3 & 4||Week of May 4th|
|Zone 5||Week of April 13th|
|Zone 6||Week of March 30th|
|Zones 7 - 11||Ships Now!|