* Images shown are of mature plants
My FGT Yard Planner
You'll need to log in or create an account in order to save this item
Hardy Evergreen Shrub with Bronze-Red Leaves
Why Volcano Cherry Laurels?
First discovered at a nursery in the Netherlands in 2006, this variety of cherry laurel is a smaller, more compact version of the classic Cherry Laurel, bearing beautiful dark green foliage and red-bronze new growth. It makes a statement in your yard without taking over the space completely.
Doing well in drought and salt-like conditions, the Volcano Cherry Laurel can be planted anywhere from urban environments to seaside homes. We especially like using it along a row to form a privacy screen or to fill in gaps in your landscape. Its robust green and reddish appearance will fill any space with delightful color.
In spring, the Volcano Cherry Laurel bears small, white ornamental flowers which then give way to small, black ornamental fruit. Birds love to eat these berries, and your Volcano Cherry Laurel will draw many winged visitors to its space. However, do note that these berries are not meant for human or pet consumption.
A staple in many European gardens, the Volcano Cherry Laurel delights with its ability to be compact and non-overbearing while being extremely cold tolerant. Usually growing no more than 7 ft tall and 5 ft wide, it will do well in most soils - just watch for overly wet conditions.
Whether you're looking to fill in garden gaps or simply embellish an area for a foliage privacy screen, the Volcano Cherry Laurel is sure to impress with its compact size and robust appearance. Get one of your own today!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: First, select a location with well-drained soil and full sun to partial shade – any area with about 4 to 6 hours of sunlight should suffice. When you’re ready to plant, dig a hole that’s about three times the width of your plant’s root ball, and place your plant.
2. Watering: Once established, your Laurel is relatively drought-tolerant, but it’s important to have a regular watering schedule for the first few growing seasons. Water about once weekly or check the surrounding soil about 2 or 3 inches down.
3. Pruning: Pruning is encouraged in spring or summer and can be used to help maintain compact shape and reduce flower blooms.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $149||$19.95|
|$149 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Mature Height:||4-7 ft.|
|Mature Width:||4-5 ft.|
|Sunlight:||Full to Part Sun|
|Botanical Name:||Prunus laurocerasus ‘Jong1’|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ|
|Grows Well In Zones:||6-9 outdoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|
Growing Zones: 6-9 outdoors(hardy down to -10℉)
Compare Similar Products
- Mature Height
- Mature Width
- Growth Rate
- 4-7 ft.
- 4-5 ft.
- Full to Part Sun
- 10-15 ft.
- 8-10 ft.
- 30 ft.
- 15 ft.
- 4-6 ft.
- 4-6 ft.
- Part Shade to Shade (hot sun burns the leaves)
- 6-8 ft.
- 8-10 ft.
- 6-8 ft.
- 5-6 ft.
- Full Sun