* Images shown are of mature plants
My FGT Yard Planner
You'll need to log in or create an account in order to save this item
Five-Star Hedge Performer
Why Hicks Yew Trees?
Commonly shortened to Hicks Yew, the Hicksii Yew fulfills multiple uses in the garden. Its narrow, columnar shape gets high marks as a hedge, screen or foundation planting, and grouped together, Hicksiis form a dense, evergreen barrier for use as privacy screens or wind protection.
Adorned with a fine texture of needles, the Hicks Yew can also serve as a lush backdrop for other garden plants. But no matter where it’s planted, the Hicksii Yew is a lively, green focal point all year. It’s technically a conifer with flat needles and fern-like branches. New spring shoots emerge vibrant green, darkening to a richer shade as they mature. In the fall, the female Hicks Yew produces vivid, red berries that present a stunning display of color when other plantings have died.
Why Fast-Growing-Trees.com is Better
For starters, it thrives in those challenging areas of your yard that never seem to get enough sun - in fact, few evergreens are as successful as the Hicksii Yew.
And this popular hybrid of the English and Japanese varieties requires little upkeep. It's equipped with its own natural defenses against disease, insects and city pollution, so you can expect this shrub to be a prominent feature in your garden for decades. But the best part is that we've planted, grown and meticulously nurtured our Hicksii Yews for amazing results in your own landscape. We've done the hard work at our nursery so you don't have to...you won't get the same experience at big box.
With several different types of yew shrubs available, you can feel confident with the proven performance of the Hicksii Yew. Its versatility, vibrant color and ease of maintenance truly set it apart. Get your order in today!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: The Hicksii Yew grows best well in a wide range of soil types that have a neutral pH balance. Pick a planting location that is well-draining because the shrub does not tolerate an overly wet root system. And choose a planting site in full sunlight or partial shade (4 to 8 hours of sunlight per day).
Dig a hole that is twice the size of the shrub’s root ball. Place the shrub into the hole and gently spread out its roots. Make sure the root crown is level with the soil surface so the roots can pull oxygen in. Mix ample organic material into the soil and pack it around the roots so no air pockets remain.
Finally, spread a three-inch layer of mulch such as pine needles, bark chips, recycled plastic chunks, or peat moss around the base of the shrub to keep the soil moist and slow weed growth.
2. Watering: Water the Hicksii Yew at least once a week. Keep the soil around the Hicksii yew moist but not overly wet for best growth - generally, you should check the soil about 2 inches down for dryness.
3. Fertilizing: Apply a water-soluble 10-10-10 plant fertilizer formula in the spring, once a month, to feed the Hicksii Yew. Sprinkle it at least four inches from the shrub’s trunk, and follow the instructions on the fertilizer’s label for application ratios. Water the shrub thoroughly after applying the fertilizer.
4. Pruning: Prune the Hicksii Yew during the late winter months when the shrub is dormant and “hardened off.” Avoid removing more than one-third of the shrub’s limbs when pruning. Lightly shearing the shrub will encourage it to grow denser.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $129||$19.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Mature Height:||8-12 ft.|
|Mature Width:||3-4 ft.|
|Botanical Name:||Taxus x media 'Hicksii'|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ|
|Grows Well In Zones:||4-7 outdoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|
Growing Zones: 4-7 outdoors(hardy down to -30℉)
Customer Reviews & Photos
Bigger than Expected and in Great Condition!
I ordered 23 of the 1 gallon yews. I wasn't sure what to expect since there isn't any indication of how big the trees would be. I was pleasantly surprised at their size. The largest are approximately 33" tall and 12" wide, while the smallest are around 18" tall and 8" wide. A couple of them have one side that's significantly more scraggly than the others, but overall, they're a decent size and very good condition. The shipping took an extra 2 days past the original shipping date which made me a bit nervous, but they are in great shape and I can't wait to get them in the ground!
Love the yews
The yews arrived well packaged, looking healthy and a beautiful green. They are planted and looking seriously happy. Even have new growth on them. Love them.
These were packed nicely and were very healthy. They were slightly bigger than I thought they would be. I am very pleased!
Great, arrived in good shape and beginning to grow.
I love Fast Growing Trees. I have never been disappointed with anything, not the speedy delivery, the packaging or the plants. My Easteern Redbud, planted earlier this year, has taken off and looks strong and healthy, ready to survive the worst winter. My Hick's yew, newly arrived and planted this fall, is doing wonderfully. I am a totally satisfied customer.