* Images shown are of mature plants
One of the Most Adaptable Crape Myrtles
Why Tuscarora Crape Myrtles?
This variety gives you hundreds of coral-pink flowers, no matter where you plant them! And since the Tuscaroras are perfect for barren areas or trouble spots, they're ideal to grow just about anywhere. Plus, you can choose between two different versions of this classic tree - a stately, elegant single-stem trunk, or a full, lush multi-stem!
Basically, this tree is an ideal solution for small areas that don't have much planting space, such as small yards, next to structures, parking lots or along streets. And Tuscarora Crape Myrtles provide vibrant color in almost all growing conditions. It doesn't matter if your soil is sandy, loamy or clay...it's even drought tolerant.
Even better? The Tuscarora is cold hardy down to an amazingly low 0 degrees. Forget lopping off the top of this Crape Myrtle so that it survives the cold - the Tuscarora thrives through it all, so there's no hassle for you.
Why Fast-Growing-Trees.com is Better
Like all of our Crapes, this one is highly resistant to disease, powdery mildew, and leaf spot. You get a spectacular tree without the problems. No fungicide treatments required! Plus, it's virtually allergy-free and fast-growing, so it's versatile and adaptable.
But the best part? We've planted, grown and nurtured it for best results in your own garden. Because we've put in the hard work at the nursery, long before shipping, you reap the rewards of healthier roots, more well-developed growth and easier, faster color.
So, don't wait - get your own Tuscarora Crape Tree today!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Crapes are full sun lovers, so try and find a spot where they will get as much sun as possible. However, the Tuscarora is very adaptable to many soil types so just be sure that the area you’re looking to plant has adequate drainage when watering.
After you have found your planting area, make your hole twice as wide as the root ball and just as deep. Place your Crape in the hole and make sure that the root crown (where the root ball meets the trunk(s) of the tree) is level with the soil surface. Tamp down the soil lightly as you back fill the hole to prevent air pockets from forming and then water after you’ve finished to settle the soil. Mulch the area around the tree to conserve water moisture.
2. Watering: Myrtles are quite drought tolerant but may need a bit more attention with watering during the hot summer season. Depending on your soil, there may need to be more frequent waterings, especially those with very sandy soils. After planting, water regularly to start. If the climate is hot, you may need to water up to five times weekly, especially in lighter soils. During the cooler seasons, you’ll only need to water once weekly.
But if you're not sure when to water, simply check the soil about 2 or 3 inches down in the surrounding area. If the soil is dry here, it's time to water.
3. Pruning: Prune in the late winter, and sterilize your cutting tools with rubbing alcohol for a clean cut. Also, always make your cuts at a 45-degree angle.
Only a light pruning of the Myrtle is needed to encourage plenty of blooms. For a more graceful tree shape, remove all but 4 to 5 strong trunks and then remove the lateral branches around the bottom half of the tree. To encourage branching, make your cuts on the longer, leggy limbs. And remove any damaged, diseased, or crossing branches during the late winter, as well as any suckers or low growths.
4. Fertilizing: Your Tuscarora Crape will greatly benefit from a light application of a complete, balanced, slow-release fertilizer formula in the early spring and summer seasons.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $49||$19.95|
|$49 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Mature Height:||15-20 ft.|
|Mature Width:||10-20 ft.|
|Botanical Name:||Lagerstroemia indica 'Tuscarora'|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ,OR|
|Grows Well In Zones:||6-9 outdoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|