* Images shown are of mature plants
Vibrant Color Marks the End of Winter
Why Flowering Quince Shrubs?
Known as one of the vibrant shrubs that mark the end of winter, the Flowering Quince boasts incredible blooms that deepen in color with age. Vivid red-orange or pink florals emerge in March to open spring, offering a striking look before most flowering varieties bloom.
Plus, the Flowering Quince is easy to grow. From its soil adaptability to its wind tolerance, it thrives without effort and is particularly suited to barrier hedging or privacy plantings with extra color…especially since it tops out at about 4 to 6 feet in height and has a wide-spreading growth habit.
And the Flowering Quince is unique. Its vivid-hued blooms deepen to a rich scarlet as the season progresses and its small, speckled fruit, similar to the crabapple, emerges. This pale-green fruit can be harvested and used to make incredible homemade jellies and jams you won’t find at the supermarket.
Why Fast-Growing-Trees.com is Better
You won’t find a healthier, better developed Flowering Quince – because we’ve planted, grown and shipped your Quince with meticulous care, you get a hassle-free shrub that’s ready to thrive in your landscape and burst with color and growth quickly.
In fact, when you buy our larger sizes, you can get explosive color, privacy and the iconic good looks of the Quince as soon as the first season in your garden.
Few border hedges offer the versatility and functionality you'll find in the Flowering Quince. Get yours today – before they’re gone!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Choose a location with well-drained soil and plenty of sunlight (6 to 8 hours of sunlight per day). Dig a hole for your Quince that’s three times as wide and equal in depth as the root ball. Remove your plant from its original container, position into the hole ensuring that it’s standing upright, and the top of the root ball is even with the ground.
Begin backfilling the hole, tamping down lightly as you go. Once the hole has been completely filled, water to allow the soil to settle and eliminate any air pockets. Finally, apply a 3 to 5-inch layer of mulch around the plant to help enrich the soil as well as conserve moisture and control weeds.
2. Watering: The Flowering Quince is a drought-tolerant plant that requires a deep watering about once a week. We recommend watering these plants in the morning, at the base. If you’re not sure when to water, simply check the top 2 inches of soil for dryness. If the soil is dry here, it’s time to water your shrub.
3. Fertilizing: Apply a slow-release fertilizer once a year in early spring, before new growth emerges. Follow up by watering the surrounding soil to allow the fertilizer to penetrate into the roots. Be sure to follow the application instructions on the fertilizer.
4. Pruning: Minimal pruning is needed for these plants. Any broken branches can be pruned back in spring before new growth begins.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $149||$19.95|
|$149 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Mature Height:||4-6 ft.|
|Mature Width:||3-5 ft.|
|Botanical Name:||Chaenomeles japonica|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ|
|Grows Well In Zones:||5-9 outdoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|
Growing Zones: 5-9 outdoors(hardy down to -20℉)
Customer Reviews & Photos
Arrived in good shape. Planted now and seems fine. Good experience.
Quick to get here
Happy plant. Arrived in good condition. Hoping it thrives
Gorgeous, healthy, arrived quickly. What's not to like?
I grew up with a beautiful flowering quince in our back yard. I thought all flowering quince had salmon colored flowers. How wonderful to get yours with bright crimson flowers. It is too wonderful for words!
Something New for My Garden
Plant arrived in great condition and ready for planting. I allowed the plant to sit on my porch for a few days to acclimate to the weather then planted it. By that time there was new leaf growth and a couple of flower buds as well. Can't wait to see it in full bloom. Very happy with plant, packaging, delivery, and entire experience.