* Images shown are of mature plants
My FGT Yard Planner
You'll need to log in or create an account in order to save this item
Have questions? Talk with our Plant Experts (800) 973-8959
The World’s Most Planted Walnut Tree
Why Chandler Walnut Trees?
This vigorously growing Walnut Tree is the most popular and most planted Walnut worldwide! The Chandler Walnut Tree was developed at the University of California in 1963 and has been bringing joy and savory walnuts to people ever since.
The Chandler Walnut Tree produces walnuts that are prized by buyers all around the world. Their “butterfly” halves are easily removed from their shells in one piece, making them a delicious delicacy. Plus, you can add them to salads, snacks, desserts and recipes of all kinds to enjoy their fresh flavor.
Preferred by orchards and home gardeners alike, the Chandler Walnut Tree produces an abundance of nuts with excellent productivity. It's prized for impressive fruit production and vigorous growth because 90% of its lateral branches produce fruit. That means you can expect it to be heavily fruitful within the first 2-4 years.
The Chandler Walnut Tree can reach a mature height of 40 feet, but can be pruned to remain smaller based on the size of your landscape. It also incurs fewer pest problems than other varieties since its well-sealed nuts are pest resistant.
Why FastGrowingTrees.com is Better
The best part? Your Chandler Walnut Tree is easy to care for since we've done the prep work for you. FastGrowingTrees.com provides a healthy and superior root system to ensure the quality of your tree exceeds your expectations!
Get your very own Chandler Walnut Tree and reap the world’s best walnuts right from your backyard. Order now--this popular tree sells out fast!
Chandler Walnut Tree Pollination
Chandler Walnut Trees are self-fertile. You will get fruit with only one plant. However, adding an additional Chandler Walnut Tree will drastically increase the size of your crop.
Planting & Care
- Once you've picked the perfect planting location, dig a hole that’s just as deep as the root ball on your tree and three times as wide.
- Take a pitch fork or shovel and scrape it along the sides of the hole to loosen the soil. Check for any debris like rocks, grass, or dirt clumps and remove them from the hole.
- Next place your tree in the hole and make sure that it’s level with the surrounding ground and standing straight upwards at a 90 degree angle.
- Slowly back fill the hole and gently tamp the soil down.
- Once you’ve completed the planting process give your tree a long drink of water and mulch the area to conserve soil moisture.
2 Watering: We often find that plants are harmed more by over watering than under watering. Keep this in mind when it comes to watering your walnut tree. Allow the soil to dry out two inches below the surface before watering your trees. When it’s time to give your trees more water hold a hose to their bases and count to 30 seconds in order to give them a slow, deep watering.
3. Fertilization: In order to give your walnut trees a boost give them some well balanced fertilizer like formula 10-10-10 twice a year. Once in the early spring and again in the early fall. If your soil is lacking in nutrients you can fertilize up to once a month during the growing season. Always remember to wait until your tree has experienced one year of growth before fertilizing.
4. Weed Control: Prevent weeds from growing under the canopy by spreading 3 to 4 inch thick layer of mulch around the base. The mulch won’t allow weeds to grow, and it will also help your soil retain moisture. If you spot some weeds that need removing, you can remove them by taking a firm grasp on them and pulling them upwards out of the ground in a twisting motion.
5. Pruning: During the early spring is the best time of year to prune your walnut trees. You will want to prune any broken, damaged, or diseased branches. Also, remove any crisscrossing or rubbing branches. Make sure that your tree has sunlight and air flow through the canopy, this will allow the air and sunlight to knock out molds and fungi.
Be sure to look at your tree and plan where to make your cuts. Just like with a haircut, you can always remove more hair later, but if you cut too much it may take a while to grow back. Use a sharp and sterile pair of hand pruners or loppers and make your cuts at 45 degree angles facing upwards in order to promote new growth.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $129||$19.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Mature Height:||40 ft.|
|Mature Width:||15 ft.|
|Harvest Time:||September - October|
|Botanical Name:||Juglans regia ‘Chandler’|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ,CA,OR,TX|
|Grows Well In Zones:||6-10 outdoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|
Growing Zones: 6-10 outdoors(hardy down to 0℉)
Customer Reviews & Photos
- Ash trees
- April 2022
It's really a young tree, but I think it's doing well! Very happy with this one.
Chandler wallnut tree
This company is doing a great job and shows a lot of respect and responsibility with the customers. Overall, I am very grateful and satisfied with their job.Thank you.
So far so good
The tree arrived in good shape. I was not happy that the main trunk had been cut at the top. My goal is to replace the tall stately Ash trees with a diverse group of trees, hopefully it will grow
So far, so good
Delivery was quick. The plants looked good, and appear to be fine 2 or so weeks after planting
I recieved and planted the tree in April 2022. The packaging was great and the tree was healthy. Planting was easy. It is June now and the tree is doing good.