* Images shown are of mature plants
My FGT Yard Planner
You'll need to log in or create an account in order to save this item
Have questions? Talk with our Plant Experts (800) 973-8959
Aromatic and Unusual Citrus with Unmatched Flavor
Looking to add a one-of-a-kind citrus to your collection? The Yuzu Tree is a unique Japanese citrus that features elegant foliage and distinctive fruit.
The fruit of this unusual citrus tree has enjoyed growing popularity in western kitchens, after hundreds of years of use in Japanese cooking. Yuzu tastes like a combination of lemon and lime, and chefs worldwide use it as a substitute for more common citrus fruits to add a distinctive flavor to their dishes. The sour pulp is rarely eaten, but the rind and juice are a terrific addition to sweet and savory dishes and sauces.
This tree grows well in containers year-round, or in the ground outdoors in Zones 8 and higher. The Yuzu fruit features pebbled skin perfect for zesting, and lush, dark green foliage that beautifies anywhere it's planted - along with delicate white blooms before the fruit arrives!
The Yuzu tree produces abundant fruit within just a few years, and requires 4-8 hours of full sun daily. It is self-fertile, rarely bothered by pests, and reaches 5-10-feet tall at maturity, making it an easy-to-grow garden favorite.
If you’re looking for a generous and unusual citrus tree that’s delicious and easy to care for, grab a Yuzu Tree for your garden today!
NOTE: This product is specific to Texas. Find Yuzu Trees available in other states.
Yuzu Tree Pollination
Yuzu Trees are self-fertile. You will get fruit with only one plant. However, adding an additional Yuzu Tree will drastically increase the size of your crop.
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Choose a location where your tree is going to get plenty of sunlight - 6 to 8 hours per day is best. These trees also do better in areas with high humidity, so you may also need to create humidity for your tree by misting the leaves daily with water.
If your winter temperatures are consistently below 40 degrees, plant your tree in a container that can easily be brought outside in the summer months and inside for the winter. Choose a pot slightly larger than what it was shipped in (1 to 2 pot sizes) that has plenty of holes in the bottom to allow for drainage. Be sure to plant in well-draining potting soil preferably recommended for acid-loving citrus plants.
2. Watering: Set a weekly watering schedule for the best results. After watering, allow the top 2 to 3 inches of the soil to dry out completely before watering again.
For potted Yuzu Trees, it's easiest to stick your index finger into the soil down to about 2 inches. If there is moisture present, hold off on watering until it feels drier at that depth. When you're ready to water, stop once you see water escaping the drainage holes at the base of the pot.
3. Pollination: This tree is self-fertile and will produce fruit on its own, but if you want to increase your crop size, you can provide additional pollination by hand. To do this, simply take a small, dry, fine-tipped paintbrush and stick it into the center of the bloom. Swirl it around and collect the pollen on the brush. Go to the next bloom and repeat the process until every bloom has been treated. The bloom will fall off naturally and the fruit will begin to form.
4. Fertilizing: Feed your Yuzu Tree during the warmer spring and summer seasons with a citrus-specific fertilizer, such as the one included in our Citrus Care Kit, once every six weeks. During the fall and winter season, ease back to fertilizing once every 2 to 3 months.
5. Pruning: Prune ground-planted Yuzus in any season (except for winter) by making 45-degree angle cuts to remove dead or crossing limbs and also to thin out the tree to allow more light. After the tree fruits, remove any dead wood and ventilate the center of the tree. Remove suckers as they form/grow from the base. Pruning can be done at any time of the year for the potted Yuzu.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $129||$19.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Mature Height:||6-8 ft.|
|Mature Width:||8-10 ft.|
|Year to Bear:||Can Fruit the 1st year!|
|Botanical Name:||Citrus junos|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ,CA,FL,HI,LA|
|Grows Well In Zones:||4-11 patio / 8-11 outdoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|