|Mature Height:||10-15 ft.|
|Mature Width:||10-15 ft.|
|Botanical Name:||Musa 'Basjoo'|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ|
|Grows Well In Zones:||5-11 outdoors|
|You are in Growing Zone:||#|
Growing Zones: 5-11 outdoors(hardy down to -10℉)
Grows Well Despite Cold Weather
Why Cold Hardy Banana Trees?
Big, lush beauty that gives a tropical feel to any landscape - when it comes to an instant exotic vibe, the Cold Hardy Banana Tree fits the bill. But what makes the Cold Hardy Banana, also known as the Basjoo, even better? For starters, it can:
- Withstand winter temperatures down to -10 degree when properly mulched.
- Grow in all 50 states, even as far North as Minnesota.
- Give a nearly-instant tropical feeling, despite not producing fruit.
You'll also love how easy it is to plant and care for the Basjoo. Simply sit back and watch the gorgeous growth - in the warmer months, it'll grow 2 feet a week!
Why Fast-Growing-Trees.com is Better
Your Basjoo Banana Tree arrives healthful, ready to be planted, and will put on remarkable growth the first growing season because we've put in meticulous work at our nursery to nurture it. And because it only grows 10 to 15 feet in height, you can plant it anywhere...even in tight spaces.
So, tropical looks that are super cold hardy and easy to grow is just a click away. Order a few of your own today!
Planting & Care
Note: Banana leaves are huge and can sometimes get crinkled in shipping. Simply remove any damaged or worn leaves to stimulate the growth of new leaves. During the growing season, you'll see fresh new leaves appear every few days.
1. Planting: Place your Basjoo Banana plant in a warm, sunny spot that has good protection from high winds. Ample sun (6 to 8 hours of sunlight per day) is necessary in order to encourage the giant banana leaves to reach their full growth potential, as well as well-drained soil.
When you're ready to plant, select a site that’s large enough to support the mature size of your Basjoo Banana. Dig the hole to the depth and width necessary to accommodate the root system—typically twice as wide as and slightly deeper than the root ball. Before setting your plant, loosen any tangled roots by hand to separate them and encourage rapid growth. Gently fill the hole and tamp the soil working around the plant with your feet.
To help retain moisture, apply organic mulch around the base of the tree and water to settle the roots.
2. Watering: The Basjoo, like other Hardy Banana Trees loves moist, well-draining soil. Ensure you're watering your Basjoo once or twice weekly - but if you're not sure when to water, check the soil about 2 or 3 inches down...if the soil is dry here, it's time to water.
3. Fertilizing: Like water, Basjoo requires more fertilization than the typical garden plant in order to supply key nutrients continuously throughout the growing season. A layer of compost at the base of the plant applied every 2 weeks should do the trick. We recommend a 28-8-16 water soluble fertilizer. Look for new leaf growth about every 5 to 7 days as a guide to proper application.
Tips: Place wire mesh protection around the base of your plant if animals are eating your plants. Protect leaves from shredding by providing adequate shelter from winds.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $15||$11.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Customer Reviews & Photos
- banana tree
- Fast Growing Trees
My original order did not make it to my house in good shape. I contacted FGT and they sent me a replacement right away. I will continue buying my plants and garden product from FGT.
Cold Hardy Bananas
Just amazing, it grew new leaves in the first week and it is very resilient to storms. Customer for life.
Cold Hardy Banana
Came healthy. Shipping is pretty fast.
new banana tree
Received about 1 week ago and in good condition. A new leaf is about to open soon. No complaints.
I was very excited to see this plant arrive very healthy. There were 3 leaves, but 2 if them were bent. Overall I'm very satisfied. I already have 2 new leaves.