Growing Zones: 5-11 outdoors(hardy down to -10℉) 5-11 outdoors
- Mature Height:
- 10-15 ft.
- Mature Width:
- 10-15 ft.
- Full Sun
- Growth Rate:
- Botanical Name:
- Musa 'Basjoo'
- Does Not Ship To:
Grows Well Despite Cold Weather
Why Cold Hardy Banana Trees?
Big, lush beauty that gives a tropical feel to any landscape - when it comes to an instant exotic vibe, the Cold Hardy Banana Tree fits the bill. But what makes the Cold Hardy Banana, also known as the Basjoo, even better? For starters, it can:
- Withstand winter temperatures down to -10 degree when properly mulched.
- Grow in all 50 states, even as far North as Minnesota.
- Give a nearly-instant tropical feeling, despite not producing fruit.
You'll also love how easy it is to plant and care for the Basjoo. Simply sit back and watch the gorgeous growth - in the warmer months, it'll grow 2 feet a week!
Why Fast-Growing-Trees.com is Better
Your Basjoo Banana Tree arrives healthful, ready to be planted, and will put on remarkable growth the first growing season because we've put in meticulous work at our nursery to nurture it. And because it only grows 10 to 15 feet in height, you can plant it anywhere...even in tight spaces.
So, tropical looks that are super cold hardy and easy to grow is just a click away. Order a few of your own today!
Customers who bought this item also bought...
Customer Reviews & Photos
- banana tree
The plant is looking good.
The plant is looking good.
I bought three for $50 each
Two are doing well but one has died
Cold Hardy Banana
Magnificent fast growing banana tree. Beautiful tropical look in NY. Love them. Bought 2
Cold Hardy Banana Trees
They were easy to order, and I received them quickly.. I'm looking forward to see how they do here in Texas..
Very hardy plant and growing well in Virginia.
Planting & Care
Note: Banana leaves are huge and can sometimes get crinkled in shipping. Simply remove any damaged or worn leaves to stimulate the growth of new leaves. During the growing season, you'll see fresh new leaves appear every few days.
1. Planting: Place your Basjoo Banana plant in a warm, sunny spot that has good protection from high winds. Ample sun is necessary in order to encourage the giant banana leaves to reach their full growth potential, as well as well-drained soil.
When you're ready to plant, select a site that’s large enough to support the mature size of your Basjoo Banana. Dig the hole to the depth and width necessary to accommodate the root system—typically twice as wide as and slightly deeper than the root ball. Before setting your plant, loosen any tangled roots by hand to separate them and encourage rapid growth. Gently fill the hole and tamp the soil working around the plant with your feet.
To help retain moisture, apply organic mulch around the base of the tree and water to settle the roots.
2. Watering: The Basjoo, like other Hardy Banana Trees love moist, well-draining soil. Ensure you're watering your Basjoo once or twice weekly - but if you're not sure when to water, check the soil about 2 or 3 inches down...if the soil is dry here, it's time to water.
3. Fertilizing: Like water, Basjoo requires more fertilization than the typical garden plant in order to supply key nutrients continuously throughout the growing season. A layer of compost at the base of the plant applied every 2 weeks should do the trick. We recommend a 28-8-16 water soluble fertilizer. Look for new leaf growth about every 5 to 7 days as a guide to proper application.
Tips: Place wire mesh protection around the base of your plant if animals are eating your plants. Protect leaves from shredding by providing adequate shelter from winds.
Most items ship the next business day unless otherwise noted
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately, however some orders may ship in 1-2 business days (we do not ship on the weekends) from date of purchase. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $15||$11.95|
|$99+||FREE (enter code: SHIP99 at checkout)|