* Images shown are of mature plants
My FGT Yard Planner
You'll need to log in or create an account in order to save this item
The World’s Most Flavorful Citrus
Are you ready to get what is said to be the world’s most flavorful citrus for your gardening space? The Shiranui Mandarin Tree, also known as Dekopon, is a container-friendly citrus that produces the highly prized after Japanese hybrid mandarin.
The Shiranui Tree is a cross of a Ponkan tangerine and a Kiyami tangor. This variety came to the United States and became well-known as the ‘Sumo®’. In many grocery stores, this is the most sought after mandarin available today!
The larger, bumpy skinned fruit is a seedless, meaty, and juicing tasting fruit. The peel of the Shiranui Mandarin fruit, with its the rich, orange-yellow exterior, peels easily to reveal the incredibly sweet taste of the fruit inside. Plus, with a long hang time that allows for up to a 4 month harvest, you’ll enjoy the fruits of this tree’s labor from November until January.
Although the Shiranui Tree can reach heights of 18 feet unpruned, it's very versatile and shapeable through pruning. If pruned, you can maintain the height of your Shiranui Tree to 10 feet, making it friendly for nearly every garden space - even containers!
Instead of buying your mandarins from the grocery store, get your very own Shiranui Mandarin Tree and enjoy the most flavorful citrus in the world in your very own backyard. Order yours today!
Shiranui Mandarin Tree Pollination
Shiranui Mandarin Trees are self-fertile. You will get fruit with only one plant. However, adding an additional Shiranui Mandarin Tree will drastically increase the size of your crop.
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Choose a location where your tree is going to get plenty of sunlight - 6 to 8 hours per day is best. These trees also do better in areas with high humidity, so you may also need to create humidity for your tree by misting the leaves daily with water.
If your winter temperatures are consistently below 40 degrees, plant your tree in a container that can easily be brought outside in the summer months and inside for the winter. Choose a pot slightly larger than what it was shipped in (1 to 2 pot sizes) that has plenty of holes in the bottom to allow for drainage. Be sure to plant in well-draining potting soil preferably recommended for acid-loving citrus plants.
2. Watering: Set a weekly watering schedule for the best results. After watering, allow the top 2 to 3 inches of the soil to dry out completely before watering again.
But for potted Mandarin Trees, it's easiest to stick your index finger into the soil down to about 2 inches. If there is moisture present, hold off on watering until it feels drier at that depth. When you're ready to water, stop once you see water escaping the drainage holes at the base of the pot.
3. Pollination: This tree is self-fertile and will produce fruit on its own, but if you want to increase your crop size, you can provide additional pollination by hand. To do this, simply take a small, dry, fine-tipped paintbrush and stick it into the center of the bloom. Swirl it around and collect the pollen on the brush. Go to the next bloom and repeat the process until every bloom has been treated. The bloom will fall off naturally and the fruit will begin to form.
4. Fertilizing: Feed your Mandarin Tree during the warmer spring and summer seasons with a citrus-specific fertilizer, such as the one included in our Citrus Care Kit, once every six weeks. During the fall and winter season, ease back to fertilizing once every 2 to 3 months.
5. Pruning: Prune ground-planted Mandarins in any season (except for winter) by making 45-degree angle cuts to remove dead or crossing limbs and also to thin out the tree to allow more light. After the tree fruits, remove any dead wood and ventilate the center of the tree. Remove suckers as they form/grow from the base. Pruning can be done at any time of the year for the potted Mandarin.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $125||$19.95|
|$125 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Mature Height:||12-18 ft. Unpruned|
|Mature Width:||8-10 ft.|
|Year to Bear:||Can Fruit the 1st year!|
|Botanical Name:||Citrus reticulata 'Shiranui'|
|Does Not Ship To:||AK,AL,AR,AZ,CA,CO,CT,DC,DE,FL,HI,IA,ID,IL,IN,KS,KY,LA,MA,MD,ME,MI,MN,MO,MP,MS,MT,NC,ND,NE,NH,NJ,NM,NV,NY,OH,OK,OR,PA,RI,SC,SD,TN,TX,UT,VA,VT,WA,WI,WV,WY|
|Grows Well In Zones:||4-11 patio / 9-11 outdoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|