* Images shown are of mature plants
My FGT Yard Planner
You'll need to log in or create an account in order to save this item
Have questions? Talk with our Plant Experts (800) 973-8959
Ethereal Violet Color Fit for Royalty!
Why Majestic Purple Bougainvilleas?
The vibrant color of the Majestic Purple Bougainvillea is truly unusual. Bright, almost pink, violet shades seem to glow, ensuring this flowering vine will draw attention wherever you plant it!
Bougainvilleas are known for their ability to climb and drape off of roofs, arbors, and other tall structures. But they're also at home in other garden settings, as well. The vine makes an excellent groundcover since its bright green leaves are thick and abundant. It also does well in rock gardens, as it dislikes too much moisture.
The Majestic Purple Bougainvillea grows quickly, alternating between growing and flowering every three weeks or so. The more established your Bougainvillea, the more violet bracts it produces. Adding even more interest, this variety attracts birds, bees, and butterflies.
What's more is that this vine appreciates full sun and hot weather since it's native to South America. In fact, the vine blooms even more regularly when it’s under stress! That means it likes crowded roots, high heat, and limited water - the opposite of finicky plants.
In consistently warm places like Hawaii and California, the Majestic Purple Bougainvillea will bloom spring through fall. In colder climates, it'll thrive in containers that you can move inside before the first frost.
Why FastGrowingTrees.com is Better
There's so many possibilities when it comes to this Bougainvillea. And because we've meticulously grown and cared for your vine well in advance, you can except a strong, well-developed root system and growth that's ready to flourish for you!
Searching for standout color and drought tolerance? It's time to add the Majestic Purple Bougainvillea to your garden!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Bougainvilleas do best in a full sun location. Try and find somewhere that will offer at least 6 hours of direct sun every day. Ensure your drainage is good--plants don't like to be in areas where water may collect for prolonged periods. Bougainvilleas like to climb since they're vines, so make sure they have something like a fence or trellis to grow properly. If growing as a hedge, space them 18-20 inches apart.
2. Watering: Water your Bougainvillea as needed. Maintain a consistently moist soil but NOT overly saturated. Too much water can weaken the vine and cause excess leaf growth in place of the decorative color you’d expect.
For a potted Bougainvillea, use your index finger to determine if more water is needed. Stick it into the soil down to a depth of 2 inches and feel around. If there is still moisture present, leave it be a bit longer. If it has dried out, water until you see it escaping the drainage holes and stop.
3. Pruning: Your Bougainvillea will respond to pruning greatly when done properly. Pruning is typically done in the late fall or early winter season. Some light trimming will keep the vine trained to a certain visual habit. Trimming removes smaller materials and gives the form a certain silhouette as well as maintain the shape. Hedge planted bougainvilleas will require some extensive pruning unless they have been properly trained along a trellis or other vertical support systems. You can remove dead wood/branches as they appear. Pruning the tips of the wood just after a bud node encourages the formation of new branches to form at the pruning junction.
Potted vines should have their tips pinched off monthly during their active growing season to encourage more branching of the vine. Pruning should be done after winter with sterilized clippers. Rubbing alcohol works perfectly for sterilization.
4. Fertilizing: During the blooming season, your Bougainvillea will respond well to monthly applications of fertilizer. The best results have been from 6-8-10 formulas which still allow enough Nitrogen for healthy growth but also a boost of Phosphorous to encourage good blooming. Discontinue fertilizing as summer comes to an end. Potted Bougainvilleas do better with a balanced 20-20-20 water soluble formula applied every two weeks at half the strength recommended on the packaging.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $129||$19.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Mature Height:||8-12 ft.|
|Mature Width:||10 ft.|
|Botanical Name:||Bougainvillea 'Majestic Purple'|
|Does Not Ship To:||OR|
|Grows Well In Zones:||4-11 patio / 10-11 outdoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|
Growing Zones: 4-11 patio / 10-11 outdoors(hardy down to 40℉)
Customer Reviews & Photos
The tree Looked Ok, Nothing special when it arrived. Hopefully it will bloom and will look like a picture one day.