* Images shown are of mature plants
My FGT Yard Planner
You'll need to log in or create an account in order to save this item
Have questions? Talk with our Plant Experts (800) 973-8959
Colorful, Tropical Evergreen Vine
Why La Jolla Bougainvilleas?
Bring the tropics of South Africa to your landscape with this unique vine. The La Jolla Bougainvillea is a tropical flowering evergreen vine that is both delightful and functional.
Blooming through spring, summer and fall, this variety is constantly covered with lush, fuchsia bracts and tiny white flowers. The bracts are noted to be brighter than similar shrub cultivars, making it one of the most vibrant reddish purples available. Plus, the dark green, glossy foliage of the La Jolla Bougainvillea is oval to heart-shaped, providing a unique and impactful display.
Not only is the La Jolla Bougainvillea a beautiful addition to your landscape, it can also be highly useful. Utilize it as a large-scale groundcover or climbing vine to fill empty spaces in need of color and texture, or add it to rock gardens, wall borders, and containers. It’s also ideal for preventing soil erosion on slopes to maintain the integrity of your landscape.
Perfect for hot, desert, or tropical climates, the La Jolla Bougainvillea has excellent tolerance of heat and drought. This means it requires minimal watering and less overall maintenance. Although the La Jolla Bougainvillea is deer resistant, it'll attract other wildlife like birds and butterflies, so you get the best of both worlds!
Why FastGrowingTrees.com is Better
You can be sure your Bougainvillea will arrive at your door ready to thrive! With a well-developed and extremely strong root system, your plant has been carefully planted and maintained well before it reaches you.
Invite the tropics to your landscape with the La Jolla Bougainvillea. Don't wait to order yours!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Bougainvilleas do best in a full sun location. Try and find somewhere that will offer at least 6 hours of direct sun every day. Ensure your drainage is good--plants don't like to be in areas where water may collect for prolonged periods. Bougainvilleas like to climb since they're vines, so make sure they have something like a fence or trellis to grow properly. If growing as a hedge, space them 18-20 inches apart.
2. Watering: Water your Bougainvillea as needed. Maintain a consistently moist soil but NOT overly saturated. Too much water can weaken the vine and cause excess leaf growth in place of the decorative color you’d expect.
For a potted Bougainvillea, use your index finger to determine if more water is needed. Stick it into the soil down to a depth of 2 inches and feel around. If there is still moisture present, leave it be a bit longer. If it has dried out, water until you see it escaping the drainage holes and stop.
3. Pruning: Your Bougainvillea will respond to pruning greatly when done properly. Pruning is typically done in the late fall or early winter season. Some light trimming will keep the vine trained to a certain visual habit. Trimming removes smaller materials and gives the form a certain silhouette as well as maintain the shape. Hedge planted bougainvilleas will require some extensive pruning unless they have been properly trained along a trellis or other vertical support systems. You can remove dead wood/branches as they appear. Pruning the tips of the wood just after a bud node encourages the formation of new branches to form at the pruning junction.
Potted vines should have their tips pinched off monthly during their active growing season to encourage more branching of the vine. Pruning should be done after winter with sterilized clippers. Rubbing alcohol works perfectly for sterilization.
4. Fertilizing: During the blooming season, your Bougainvillea will respond well to monthly applications of fertilizer. The best results have been from 6-8-10 formulas which still allow enough Nitrogen for healthy growth but also a boost of Phosphorous to encourage good blooming. Discontinue fertilizing as summer comes to an end. Potted Bougainvilleas do better with a balanced 20-20-20 water soluble formula applied every two weeks at half the strength recommended on the packaging.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $129||$19.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Mature Height:||4-6 ft.|
|Mature Width:||4-6 ft.|
|Botanical Name:||Bougainvillea ‘La Jolla’|
|Does Not Ship To:||OR|
|Grows Well In Zones:||4-11 patio / 9-11 outdoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|