* Images shown are of mature plants
Vivid Pink Blossoms and Burgundy Foliage
Bring the beautiful colors of this tree to small and large spaces alike. The Garden Gems™ Amethyst Redbud is a compact, low maintenance, and colorful tree that stands out against other trees or plants.
In the early spring, this tree explodes with bright pink clusters of flowers that cover the compact branches. Its vivid, abundant blooms are contrasted by the rich burgundy foliage that adorns the tree when it’s not blooming. The heart-shaped foliage keeps its deep purple color even into the hottest days of summer, giving you a pop of color no matter the season.
Native to North America, the Garden Gems™ Amethyst Redbud is both compact and low-maintenance. The well-branched habit of this tree creates sturdy branch unions that make it beautifully dense and strong, and able to stand up to harsh weather. And the compact nature of the Garden Gems™ Amethyst Redbud means it will flourish in both smaller or larger landscapes.
Maintaining the Garden Gems™ Amethyst Redbud is simple. Trim as needed in the late winter and top dress with a slow release fertilizer. Pest maintenance is also at a minimum, as pests in this tree occur infrequently.
Enjoy this rich burgundy and vibrant pink flowering tree in your landscape this season and for years to come. Get your Garden Gems™ Amethyst Redbud today!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Select an area with well-drained soil and full sun to partial sun (4 to 6 hours of direct sunlight with some afternoon shade).
Dig a hole twice as wide as the diameter and as deep as your tree’s root ball. Place your tree, backfill the soil, and water to settle the tree’s roots. Finally, spread 3 to 4 inches of mulch over the planting site to conserve moisture.
2. Watering: During the first year, water your tree about once or twice weekly. If you’re not sure when to water, check the surrounding soil to about 3 inches down. If the soil is dry here, it’s time to water your tree.
After the first year, your Redbud can thrive on rainfall alone, but we recommend that you continue to check the soil. Soil should remain moist about 3 inches down.
3. Fertilizing: In early spring, apply compost or a complete fertilizer, such as 5-10-5. Spread evenly around the root zone of the plant according to the label instructions.
4. Pruning: Prune the tree in early summer after the tree is done blooming. Begin by removing any larger lower branches and branches that cross over each other or rub together.
Cut off the branches close to the trunk without leaving any stubs. If several branches need to be removed, remove gradually over a few months. In late winter, prune any dead or damaged wood and remove any shoots that are growing from the bottom of the trunk.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $129||$19.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Mature Height:||8-10 ft.|
|Mature Width:||8-10 ft.|
|Sunlight:||Part Sun (4 hours minimum) or Full Sun|
|Botanical Name:||Cercis canadensis ‘NC2017-6’|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ, OR|
|Grows Well In Zones:||5-9 outdoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|