* Images shown are of mature plants
My FGT Yard Planner
You'll need to log in or create an account in order to save this item
Have questions? Talk with our Plant Experts (800) 973-8959
Lush Cryptomeria for Constant Color and Texture
Why Black Dragon Cryptomeria?
The Black Dragon Cryptomeria is a favorite of ours for many reasons. First, its dark evergreen needles and layered branches add stunning color and texture - all while presenting a tranquil demeanor to the landscape.
As this tree grows, new foliage begins bright green, eventually darkening to a unique, greenish-black later on. This Cryptomeria thrives in full sun and can reach a max height of 10 feet tall by 5 feet wide. And due to its compact nature, this evergreen will fit in just about anywhere, so you can add it as a focal point or hedge in small to large spaces.
The best part? This tree is fairly adaptable to any soil and doesn't require any pruning. The Black Dragon Cryptomeria is also pest and disease resistant, as well as deer and drought tolerant once established for added hardiness and reliability.
Why FastGrowingTrees.com is Better
We’ll harvest, plant, and nurture your tree with care before we ship it - so you receive the best quality tree available! And considering The Black Dragon Cryptomeria’s charming aesthetic and personality - we promise, you won’t be disappointed!
Ready to beautify your yard? Then, hurry and order your Black Dragon Cryptomeria today!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: This variety is tough and adapts well to a variety of soils. It'll thrive with little care from Zones 5-9 and can be grown in full sun to partial shade. A rugged evergreen, it's considerably drought tolerant once established.
A location with plenty of early morning sun will help foliage grow fuller and prevent fungus on leaves. When you're ready to plant, dig a hole the same width and depth of the Cryptomeria's root ball, ensuring that the sides of the hole are level or lower than the base of the tree where the roots begin. Place the Cryptomeria in the hole and fill with the dirt you removed.
Insert a stake into the ground next to the tree tying the trunk to the stake to support the tree until its roots are established. Water thoroughly to ensure that the soil is moist.
2. Watering: This Cryptomeria should get a minimum of an inch of water each week (generally, running the hose for 30 seconds to one minute is advised). Monitor the amount of water your Cryptomeria is receiving by placing a dish near the plant as you irrigate and adjust water amounts as necessary.
FGT Tip: If you notice your Cryptomeria beginning to drop needles, spray the tree several times throughout the day with a spray bottle or a garden hose.
3. Fertilizing: Prior to any new growth in the spring, apply an acidic fertilizer. Always mix and apply according to the label directions.
4. Pruning: While pruning isn't required, removing any broken or dead branches in late winter each year can be beneficial.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $129||$19.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Mature Height:||6-10 ft.|
|Mature Width:||4-5 ft.|
|Botanical Name:||Cryptomeria japonica 'Black Dragon'|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ|
|Grows Well In Zones:||5-9 outdoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|
Growing Zones: 5-9 outdoors(hardy down to -10℉)
Customer Reviews & Photos
- Beautiful &
Fresh and healthy
I had hoped to start with a bigger tree, but these arrived, looking so healthy, and were packaged so well, that I think they will do well in the ground and adapt quickly.
Arrived few days after order healthy & happy tree
Beautiful & Deer Resistant!
Tree was delivered well packaged, & in perfect condition. I promptly planted it, and so far it’s quite happy! Beautiful & Deer resistant!