* Images shown are of mature plants
My FGT Yard Planner
You'll need to log in or create an account in order to save this item
Have questions? Talk with our Plant Experts (800) 973-8959
Colorful Screens, Accents and More
Why Variegated Privets?
It’s a hassle-free hedge and privacy screen, adaptable to drought, soil type and more: The Variegated Privet is second to none. That means you can create professional-looking hedge with the benefit of little upkeep.
Known as the Chinese Privet, this variety is more eye-catching than traditional shrubs, with variegated leaves in tones of silver, green, and yellow. Plus, it requires no pruning to create a rich, natural hedge. But if you prefer the finished look, the Privet maintains its pruned shape long after you trim. Less work for you!
Why Fast-Growing-Trees.com is Better
The Chinese Privet is great for concealing areas of your property you don't want to be seen, like utility boxes, and is effortlessly elegant. But the best part is we’ve planted, grown and nurtured each of our Variegated Privets from day one, so you get an amazing experience…and convenience delivered right to your door.
You won’t get the benefits of a healthy root system, developed growth and simple upkeep from other nurseries or big box stores.
So, all this and more is just a click away. Get unique color…without the maintenance. Get our Variegated Privet today!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: When planting Variegated Privet Trees, find a location that receives full to partial sun. These can adopt to any soil type as long as it’s moist and well draining.
Dig your hole three times the width and slightly shallower than the root ball. Use your fingers to separate the roots of your variegated privet and gently position downward in the hole. The top of the root flare (where the roots end and the trunk begins) should be about an inch above the surrounding soil. Hold the tree straight as you begin to back fill the site, tamping down the soil as you go.
When finished, apply water to settle the soil and remove any air pockets that may have formed.
2. Watering: Most Privets prefer constantly moist soil conditions, as long as the roots aren’t sitting in standing water. Apply water when the top 2 inches of the soil is dried out a bit. When watering your shrub, use enough to moisten the soil down to a depth of 24 inches. This encourages the shrub to grow roots deeper, which helps improve drought tolerance, overall vigor and health of your hedge.
3. Fertilizing: Privets normally do not require fertilization the way that other shrubs would. If needed, you can apply fertilizer once a year in the spring when new growth begins. If you notice the edges on your privet looking pale in color, or if you want to speed up its growth rate, provide a 15-5-10 formula. Just be sure to follow the application instructions on the bag.
4. Pruning: Variegated privets don’t really need much pruning. Leaving it unpruned allows the shrubs to take on a natural shape. Remove dead and injured branches for a healthier tree in late winter or early spring before new growth appears.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $129||$19.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Mature Height:||6-8 ft.|
|Mature Width:||6-8 ft.|
|Botanical Name:||Ligustrum sinense 'Variegata'|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ,OR|
|Grows Well In Zones:||7-10 outdoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|
Growing Zones: 7-10 outdoors(hardy down to 10℉)
Customer Reviews & Photos
Our plants arrived as scheduled and are doing very well. The weather has alternated between warm and cold but in less than two weeks each plant has a ton of new growth
Pretty tree- shrubs.
We bought three of these. Needed a privacy plot. And these will do it! We had these at our home in Virginia. They were good but, had to cut back every 2-3 years. Too close to the south side of house. They were very happy! Now we are in Georgia and have planted them in a place that they can fly. No pruning hopefully.
Perfect, the packing was awesome, and easy to remove from the boxes, and plant !!
Every person we spoke with was knowledgeable, personable and professional. Besides the Variegated privet we also got a willow tree. Everything came in as promised and in good shape. Thank you!