* Images shown are of mature plants
My FGT Yard Planner
You'll need to log in or create an account in order to save this item
Silvery Purple, Evergreen Foliage
This low-maintenance plant produces iridescent foliage that will dazzle your landscape. The Persian Shield provides year-round color and textural interest to outdoor gardens and indoor spaces alike.
The Persian Shield is an incredibly unique, ornamental plant that’s been around since Victorian times. Its foliage contains bold purple and green shades with shimmers of silver. This silver glistens in the sun and illuminates the texture of the Persian Shield’s foliage. And its lance-shaped leaves have slightly toothed edges that create a unique, quilt-like look.
The iridescent, colorful foliage of the Persian Shield makes it a focal point no matter where it's planted, so add it to containers, landscapes, or combination plantings and watch it thrive.
The deep purple and green leaves of this beauty make it ideal for creating appealing color contrast with many hues, including bright yellows, oranges or lime greens. Plus, the Persian Shield thrives in hot and humid conditions, is easy to maintain and is highly adaptable.
For can't-miss color and texture and a variety that grows with ease, choose the unique and versatile Persian Shield. Order yours today!
NOTE: This plant is an annual, so be sure to plant it after the first frost to enjoy throughout the warmer months!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Plant your Persian Shield in an area with well-draining soil and part to full sun. If you’re planting in a pot, choose a pot that's at least 3 times larger than the container the plant was shipped in.
If planting directly into the ground, dig a hole that's 2-3 times wider and the same depth than the shipped container. Remove the shipped container and carefully loosen the roots. Place the plant in the hole and backfill the dirt. Water immediately after planting.
2. Watering: Water your Persian Shield frequently, until it's well established. Although it's heat resistant, for optimal growth, keep the soil moist 2 inches during the growing season.
3. Pruning: You can prune your plant at any time. Pinching it back occasionally will encourage the plant to have a fuller, more bushy shape.
4. Fertilizing: Fertilize in the spring with a general-purpose fertilizer. Be sure to follow the application instructions on the packaging of your fertilizer for best results.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Amount of Order||Shipping Charge|
|Less than $149||$19.95|
|$149 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
|Mature Height:||1.5-3 ft.|
|Mature Width:||1.5-2 ft.|
|Sunlight:||Part Sun to Full Sun|
|Botanical Name:||Strobilanthes dyerianus|
|Does Not Ship To:||AZ|
|Grows Well In Zones:||4-11 outdoors|
|Your Growing Zone:||#|